VMware License Transfer and Account Change Processes
On this page, we explain the different processes which apply to the following scenarios:
- You wish to transfer ownership of the license to a third party (“ License Transfer”); or
- You wish to amend VMware’s records to reflect a data entry error or a change in your account details (“ Account Change”).
1. VMware License Transfer
VMware operates a strict policy on license assignment and transfers. VMware’s software license grant to the customer is personal to that customer (ie, the license is not transferable to a third party – a “third party” being any entity (including a related entity) which is not recorded in VMware’s systems as being the authorised licensee of the software licenses in question). As VMware’s software license grant is personal to the customer, transfer requests may be approved or declined by VMware at VMware’s sole discretion. That said, requests which fall under the following categories will be considered favorably:
- Acquisition, merger or divestiture
- Sale of assets due to bankruptcy
- Start of an IT outsourcing arrangement
- Termination of an IT outsourcing arrangement
- Change in government machinery
- In-region corporate group restructures
VMware will also have regard to the terms of your contract if the transfer of licenses was contractually agreed between the parties, as well as any applicable laws which prohibit VMware from restricting the transfer of licenses.
For further information relating to the above, please refer to the VMware License Assignment & Transfer Policy.
2. VMware Account Change
VMware allows changes to customer account details in certain instances. Valid reasons for account changes include:
- Customer has changed its company name, other than as a result of a merger or acquisition, and the old company name no longer exists
- VMware data entry errors
- VMware channel partner data entry errors
- Customer wishes to combine duplicate Entitlement Accounts under one Entitlement Account
- Customer wishes to separate its licenses into two separate Entitlement Accounts (each to be held in the name of the same legal entity)
In order to effect the changes in 1 or 2 above, please contact your Customer Support representative (ph: US English Language Support: 877 486 9273 (Local Toll Free: 650 475 5345), or for international phone numbers please see https://www.vmware.com/support/contacts/us_support.html, or file a service request online by logging in to My VMware and selecting Get Support from the Quick Links menu). Our support representatives will (i) make a preliminary assessment regarding the validity of your request, (ii) identify the required supporting documentation (if any) and (iii) seek required approvals; in order to process this request.
For more information about filing a Support Request, see Filing a Support Request in Customer Connect (2006985).