VMware vFabricTM AppInsight 1.1 Release Notes
vFabric AppInsight 1.1 | 15 March 2012 | Build 71134
Last Document Update: 22 March 2012
These release notes cover the following topics:
VMware vFabric AppInsight 1.1 Features
vFabric AppInsight is built specifically for application owners who are deploying applications on hybrid clouds and dynamic virtual environments. It enables customers to improve the service levels of their applications (availability and performance) and cost. vFabric AppInsight provides an at-a-glance health state for an application, with the ability to easily zoom in on problematic areas and to apply one or more remedial actions to all code levels, middleware and infrastructure.
AppInsight features include:
- Integrated transaction monitoring across multiple tiers and down to code level
- Automatic identification of business-critical transactions
- A dashboard to view overall application health
- The ability to monitor aggregated application costs
- The ability to take remedial action from the management console
- The ability to view the correlation between application infrastructure changes and performance changes
- An out-of-the-box baseline to enable the identification of normal vs. abnormal behavior
Other VMware vFabric AppInsight 1.1 Documentation
VMware vFabric AppInsight Installation Guide
VMware vFabric AppInsight User's Reference
VMware vFabric AppInsight Developer's Guide
System Requirements for VMware vFabric AppInsight 1.1 Installation
Before you begin the installation, make sure you have these system requirements available. You also need to
have specific ports open for the AppInsight server virtual machine and network probe.
You require the following disk space and memory for the AppInsight server virtual machine and the network probe:
- AppInsight Server virtual machine: 50 GB disk space; 8 GB memory*, 4 vCPU**
* In an environment of more than 300 application components, increase the memory of the AppInsight Server virtual machine to 12 GB.
** In an environment of less than 30 application components, 2vCPU are sufficient.
- Network probe: 6 GB disk space; 1 GB memory, 2 vCPU
In addition, you require the following open ports for the AppInsight server virtual machine and the network probe:
- AppInsight Server virtual machine
- TCP Port 80, 8443 - For the AppInsight user interface connection from the external client.
- TCP Port 1194 - For the network probe connection to this AppInsight server virtual machine
- TCP Port 21234 - (Optional) Code agent connection with the AppInsight server
- Network Probe
- TCP Port 1194 - For the connection to the AppInsight server virtual machine
- UDP Port 123 - For the NTP on the AppInsight server virtual machine
- TCP Port 5671 - (When multiple collectors are installed) For the connection to the AppInsight message queue
Supported Screen Resolution
AppInsight is supported on screen resolutions of 1024 x 768, and higher.
VMware recommends that you view vFabric AppInsight in full screen mode.
Web Interface Support
Supported Web browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9
- Google Chrome 12
- Mozilla FireFox 3.6
- Safari 4.0.4
Refer to the VMware vFabric AppInsight Installation Guide for installation instructions.
Resolved Issues since the last VMware vFabric AppInsight Release
The following issues have been resolved since the last AppInsight release:
- If you use static IP addresses, VMware recommends that you use only one DNS server during installation. If you require more than one DNS server, add it manually to the /etc/resolv.conf file.
- Incorrect colors might appear for widgets in the dashboard. Click Refresh to correct the widgets' colors.
- VMware recommends that you wait until a view has finished loading before you switch to another view.
- The Most Used Application widget in the dashboard appears disabled when you have not actived the Usage KPI.
- The time picker does not show the entire selected time period. For example, if you select the 10 minute resolution, the time picker might show 10:41:30-10:50:30, which is only nine minutes.
- You cannot download the code agent installation ZIP file or server snapshot from the AppInsight server using Internet Explorer 8. Download the file using one of the other supported browsers.
- In the Components Health KPI, values that you set for the tolerate threshold are not effective.
If extra spaces are included in the Hostname text box when registering an adapter, AppInsight will not connect with the adapter.
vCenter Chargeback Integration
If you unregister the Chargeback adapter from AppInsight, the application cost continues to appear in the General Details of the application.
- Changes that are made in external data sources, (vCenter, Hyperic, Chargeback and Orchestrator), might take up to 23 hours before monitored data is available.
- A user who does not have Write permissions can add, edit and delete an application's alerts.
- A user who has Write permissions for some applications, can create or edit a single "all applications" rule.
- Application owners can view alerts for applications for which they do not have Application Owner permissions.
Known Issues with VMware vFabric AppInsight 1.1
The following known issues affect the AppInsight 1.1 release:
- The version number of AppInsight 1.1 (build 71134) is incorrectly displayed as version 126.96.36.199 (build 638550) when running the OVA deployment, and in the vSphere Client summary tab.
- If there is a mismatch between the name of a vSwitch and the name of the AppInsight port group on the vSwitch, network probe deployment fails.
- You cannot install a code agent on a Windows 2008 Server 64-bit running Tomcat 7.0.25 as a service. Upgrade to the next Tomcat version.
- When you add or remove a metric to a configurable chart, the colors of all existing lines change.
- In Internet Explorer, a Certificate Error message appears.
- Occasionally, "Application Infrastructure KPI" appears in the user interface instead of "Middleware KPI".
- The name of a virtual machine that is powered off does not appear in the user interface. A different IP-based platform name appears.
- Occasionally, hints do not show content. Refresh the page to show the content.
- AppInisght only supports languages that read left-to-right.
- When you filter the Notifications List, the Notification Details pane does not update.
- Occasionally while large queries are being processed, KPI calculations are missed and data takes time to appear in the user interface.
- When you try to log into AppInsight on Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 2008 R2, you get a blank page. Either disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration, or configure it to allow access to the AppInsight server by changing the security level to medium.
- The Cost KPI is measured per hour, not per day as stated in the signpost help popup.
- The Middleware KPI does not display metrics for MySQL Stats 5.1.x database or Tomcat 7.0 instances.
To display metrics for a MySQL Stats database, in your AppInsight server console, edit /opt/vmware/apm/conf/am-adapter.properties as follows:
To display metrics for Tomcat 7.0, in your AppInsight server console, edit /opt/vmware/apm/conf/am-adapter.properties as follows:
- Go to the Hyperic.adapter.component.mappings section and after DB= add MySQL Stats 5.1.x.
- Save the file.
- Restart the AppInsight service.
- Go to the Hyperic.adapter.component.mappings section and after WEB= add Tomcat 7.0.
- Save the file.
- Restart the AppInsight service.
In the case in which duplicate IP addresses exist in vCenter Server, which generally only occurs with internal IP addresses, AppInsight might display an incorrect virtual machine name.
- Database transactions, other than JDBC, are not recognized by the code agent.
- When you install multiple code agents, the temp folder becomes full, causing the AppInsight server to stop working.
Delete the content in the /opt/vmware/apm/insight-dashboard/temp directory after each code agent installation.
vFabric Hyperic Integration
- During startup, if an adapter connection fails, AppInsight will not start.
- Stop the Hyperic server.
- Start AppInsight.
- Restart the Hyperic server.
- Reestablish the adapter connection.
- Data that is retrieved from Hyperic might be inaccurate if the Hyperic time is not synchronized with APM Server time.
- If the vFabric Hyperic server is restarted, AppInsight does not reconnect to Hyperic.
You need to delete and reregister the vFabric Hyperic adapter.
vCenter Orchestrator Integration
If a vCO is configured with multiple vCenter Servers and an action is performed on a virtual machine that uses the same name in multiple vCenter Servers, the action is not performed, to prevent errors. A message appears in the user interface log.
- Correlations between network components that use a transparent proxy are not available.
- When a server has two IP addresses, one for incoming traffic and another for outgoing traffic, hints related to outgoing traffic are not available.
- If there is a correlation between components in the left-most tier of an application's topology, redundant transactions are created.
- Rarely, when metrics are added or removed from vCenter or Hyperic, the change does not appear in the topology in AppInsight. Try restarting AppInsight to resolve the issue.
- If you attempt to add a cloned virtual machine with a static IP address to the topology of an AppInsight application, the virtual machine will not be added.
- Servers that use a range of ports are not supported. In AppInsight, the server is identified as a single application component.
- When you add a new tier to the topology as the left-most tier, all existing transaction data is deleted. New transaction data is displayed on the new left-most tier, as it is detected by AppInsight.
- Only users with the Administrator role can create alerts for applications.
- You cannot define a single alert for multiple virtual machines.
- When you attempt to create a duplicate alert the message Server error:query did not return a unique result:2 appears.
- AppInsight supports PEM- and PKCS-format SSL keys. In the event that you are unable to manually add WebSphere SSL certificates, verify that your keys are of a supported format.
- When the host clock for a probe is not synchronized with the clock on the server host, probe deployment will fail until the time on the probe host matches the time when the server was first installed on the server host.
- In applications that are built from the same page template, for example Wiki, transactions are not learned by AppInsight.
- AppInsight does not recognize Oracle errors. In such cases, 0% errors appears instead of the correct error rate.
- When you create a new application component group, it might take up to 25 minutes before monitored data appears in the application's topology.
- When you create a new application component group, the monitored data is not correct until each of the components in group have existed for the entire time resolution. For example, if an application group has three components that are being monitored in a time resolution of one hour, but one of the components was only created 45 minutes earlier, the displayed application component group data is only accurate after one hour and 15 minutes (after the most recently created component is in existence for one hour.)