The easiest method of installing SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8(SLES 8) in a virtual machine is to use the standard SuSE distribution CDs. The notes below describe an installation using the standard distribution CD; however, installing SLES 8 via the boot floppy/network method is supported as well.
Before installing the operating system, be sure that you have already created and configured a new virtual machine.
- Insert the SLES 8 installation CD in the CD-ROM drive and click the Power On button.
- Follow the installation steps as you would for a physical machine until you get to the selection screens described in the next steps.
- Part way through the installation, the installer reboots the virtual machine. At the LILO screen, let the boot proceed using the default selection of linux.
- At the Desktop Settings screen, select 640x480 256 colors.
- Finish installing SLES 8 as you would on a physical machine.
This completes basic installation of the SLES 8 guest operating system.
Be sure to install VMware Tools in your guest operating system. For details, see the manual for your VMware product.