VMware ESX Server 2.1.2 Upgrade Patch 6 (for 2.1.x Systems)
This patch for ESX Server 2.1.x addresses the following issues:
- Previous versions allowed downgrading the ESX Server installation back to builds or patches prior to the currently installed version. This version of the installer prevents downgrading, which is the more correct behavior.
- During patch installation, the patch installer did not check to see if the patch was already installed before proceeding with installation. This version of the patch installer will not apply this patch if it detects that it is already installed.
- Security fix -- Corrects a potential vulnerability in the VMware Management Interface which could allow remote code execution in the Web browser. See Knowledge Base Article 2001.
There are separate patches available for ESX Server 2.0.1 and 2.5.2 available as VMware ESX Server 2.0.1 Upgrade Patch 6 and VMware ESX Server 2.5.2 Upgrade Patch 2.
This update applies to ESX Server 2.1, 2.1.1 or 2.1.2. Please make sure that one of these versions is installed before applying the patch.
- After updating your system, you must update the version of VMware Tools installed in your virtual machines.
Installing the Update
This update requires you to boot your server into Linux mode to perform the upgrade. When you are prompted to reboot at the end of the upgrade, the installer will restart your system to run ESX Server.
- Power off all virtual machines and shut down your server.
- Restart your system.
- At the LILO Boot Menu, select the linux option. Allow the system start procedure to complete.
- Log in as root into the ESX Server service console, in Linux mode. Make sure your path variable contains /usr/bin:/bin.
- Download the tar file into the temporary directory /tmp on your ESX service console.
- Change directories to /tmp.
Verify the integrity of the package:
# md5sum esx-2.1.2-18670-upgrade.tar.gz
The md5 checksum output should match the following:
- Extract the compressed tar archive:
# tar -xvzf esx-2.1.2-18670-upgrade.tar.gz
- Change directories to the newly created directory /tmp/esx-2.1.2-18670-upgrade:
# cd esx-2.1.2-18670-upgrade
- Run the patch installer:
# /usr/bin/perl ./upgrade.pl
Note: Once you start the installation script, do not enter keyboard escape commands such as Control-C or Control-D. Using escape commands will interrupt the upgrade procedure and leave your system partially upgraded.
- The system updates have now been installed. A reboot prompt displays:
Reboot the server now [y/n]?
This update will not be complete until you reboot the ESX Server. If you enter N, to indicate that you will not reboot at this time, ESX Server displays the warning message "Please reboot the server manually for this update to take effect. Update has been terminated unexpectedly." If you see this message, you must manually reboot the server to complete the driver update.
- At the reboot prompt, enter Y to reboot the server.