VMware ESX Server 2.5.1 Upgrade Patch 1
This patch includes new updates for
ESX Server 2.5.1 that address
the following known issues:
- Security fix --
Corrects a potential vulnerability in the RPCI
mechanism used in ESX Server 2.x that may be
exploited in a denial of service attack. See
Knowledge Base Article 1703
- Fixes for problems observed running on the IBM x460 --
possible panics on 8-way systems and
fixes to timer code, as well as updates to the service
console kernel to support drivers that register
controllers outside the detect routine.
- Poor networking performance with
Citrix Metaframe Application Server and
Citrix License Server in a virtual
machine -- see
Knowledge Base Article 1702
- Virtual machines may fail to boot with a
MONITOR PANIC message in the vmware.log file -- see
Knowledge Base Article 1701
There are separate patches for ESX Server 2.1.2 and 2.0.1 available as the
VMware ESX Server 2.1.2 Upgrade Patch 4
VMware ESX Server 2.0.1 Upgrade Patch 4.
This update applies only to
ESX Server 2.5 and 2.5.1. Please make
sure that one of these versions is installed
before applying the patch. The installer will log
the name of this patch and information on the updated components in the
Note: After updating your system, you must update the
version of VMware Tools installed in your
This update will require you to boot your server into Linux mode to
perform the upgrade. When you are prompted to reboot at the end of the
upgrade, the installer will restart your system to run ESX Server.
- Power off all virtual machines and shutdown your server.
- Restart your system.
- At the LILO Boot Menu, select the option appropriate for your system. For a boot-from-SAN installation, select esx-san-safe. For all other installations, select linux. Allow the system start procedure to complete.
- Log in as root into the ESX
Server service console, in Linux mode.
Make sure your path variable
- Download the tar file into the
/tmp on the
Change directories to /tmp.
- Verify the integrity of the
# md5sum esx-2.5.1-14182-upgrade.tar.gz
The md5 checksum output
should match the
- Extract the compressed tar
# tar -xvzf
- Change directories to the newly
created directory /tmp/esx-2.5.1-14182-upgrade:
# cd esx-2.5.1-14182-upgrade
- Run the installer:
- The system updates have now been installed. A reboot prompt displays:
Reboot the server now [y/n]?
This update will not be complete until you reboot the ESX Server.
If you enter N, to indicate that you will not reboot at this time,
ESX Server displays the warning message "Please reboot the server manually
for this update to take effect. Update has been terminated unexpectedly."
If you see this message, you must manually reboot the server to complete
the driver update.
- At the reboot prompt, enter Y to reboot the server.