VMware Fusion 5 and VMware Fusion 5 Professional Release Notes
VMware Fusion 5.0.2 | 8 NOVEMBER 2012 | Build 900491
Check frequently for additions and updates to these release notes.
These release notes cover the following topics:
What's New in VMware Fusion 5.0.2
VMware Fusion 5.0.2 is a maintenance release that resolves some known issues. It is a free upgrade for all VMware Fusion 5 users.
Prior Releases of VMware Fusion 5
Features from prior releases of VMware Fusion are described in the release notes for each release, along with existing known issues. In addition, the release notes
contain information on system requirements and installation. To view release notes for prior releases of VMware Fusion 5, click the following links:
VMware Fusion 5.0.2 is a minor upgrade recommended for all users of VMware Fusion. This release includes the following improvements and resolved issues.
- USB 3.0 stability improvements.
- Graphics improvements when running the Microsoft Office 2013 preview.
- Fixed an issue that caused the library and the Fusion start menu contents to get out of sync.
- Fixed an issue that caused Mac OS X (Mountain Lion) guests to see stale directory information when using HGFS.
- Fixed a multi-monitor behavior on Mac OS X (Mountain Lion) when Use All Displays in Full Screen is selected.
- Fixed an issue that caused the full screen short-cut key to intermittently fail when Caps Lock was on.
- Easy Install improvements for Microsoft Windows 8.
- Fixed key repeat behavior (typematic) on certain versions of Mac OS X (Mountain Lion).
- Fixed an intermittent problem that caused Fusion to quit when the network editor was opened.
- Fixed cancelling of the import of OVF virtual machines.
- Addressed graphics issues with Autodesk Inventor, Altium Designer, and Solidworks.
- Fixed an issue installing on Macs with a user or group named "0".
- Fixed error compiling HGFS on Linux 3.6 kernels.
- Changed the selection color in the library icon view.
- Renamed the Pause key menu item to aid with accessibility and automation.
- Fixed an issue importing a Parallels virtual machine that has no network devices.
- Resolved an issue that caused the PC Migration Assistant to not complete when migrating a Windows PC.
Top of Page
Known issues from prior releases of VMware Fusion 5 also might apply to VMware Fusion 5.0.2.
Black virtual machine screens on some Mac Pro systems running Mac OS X 10.7.5
On some Mac Pro systems using OS X 10.7.5 the virtual machines show black screens when they are powered on or resumed.
Workaround: Fusion 5.0.2 contains a workaround for this issue, however graphics performance will be reduced. VMware continues to work on this issue.
Upgrading directly from Microsoft Windows XP to Windows 8 inside a virtual machine is not recommended.
Users wishing to move to Windows 8 should install Windows 8 in a new virtual machine using a physical DVD or ISO media. The Microsoft Easy Transfer tool enables users to move their files and settings from their existing Windows XP virtual machine to Windows 8.
Microsoft Windows 8 is incompatible with the VMware VMSCSI device used by some Windows XP virtual machines.
Users should refrain from upgrading their Windows XP using the Microsoft Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant program at this time. Additional information will be provided in a forthcoming knowledge base article.
Top of Page