VMware IT Business Management Suite Advanced or Enterprise Edition 8.1 Release Notes
IT Business Management Suite | 09 SEPTEMBER 2014 | Build 2053100
Last updated: 09 SEPTEMBER 2014
Check for additions and updates to these release notes.
What's in the Release Notes
The release notes cover the following topics:
VMware IT Business Management Suite Advanced or Enterprise Edition, provides fast time to value with more automation and focused information and business cases, by focusing on the following areas:
- Out of the Box Dashboards with extended personas, domains and to align with the VMware strategy
- Intelligence offering to speed-up analysis and understanding
- User Interface and Usability improvements
- Installation and Deployment enhancements
- iPad application for the IT executives
Out of the Box Dashboards
Data Center Dashboard
IT Business Management Advanced or Enterprise release introduces a new data center dashboard, which is a starting point for an IT transformation process. Data center dashboard helps the IT administrator with:
- Comparison of data centers by storage, network and servers is now possible.
- View the cost distribution by the data center.
- Data center server virtualization rate by cost framelet.
- Data center applications in data center by cost per user.
Service Owner Dashboard
IT Business Management Advanced or Enterprise edition addresses additional personas like business service owner. The business service owner persona helps to understand the cost, demand and trends associated with the business service. Service owner dashboard helps to:
- Check the top drivers and consumers over time.
- Compare against the cost, demand trends, quality and infrastructure opportunities.
A new dashboard in the Out of the Box content for IT Business Management Advanced or Enterprise edition provides information regarding any IT Financial Management discarded or rejected data in the system. Administration dashboard provides:
- Overall data validation dashboard report.
- Data validation dashboard report by cost group, and this report provides more granular level than the overall dashboard report.
- Reports which shows the discarded records for a specific data source.
Out of the Box Integration with IT Business Management Standard
Out of the box integration with IT Business Management Standard helps in:
- Leveraging cost and usage metering of virtualized infrastructure from IT Business Management Standard that serves as a basis for expansion into full IT financial management and service costing.
- Showback for Line of Businesses (LOBs) that consume cloud services, leveraging data from IT Business Management Standard and vCloud Automation Center.
- Cost recovery analysis (cost versus charge) for the consumed cloud
- Highlights cost optimization opportunities and leveraging virtual machine downsizing recommendations from vCenter Operations.
Intelligence and Guidance
- Business Case Generator (Service Planning): Built-in wizard supports IT transformation in order to switch an existing service to a new or existing SaaS offering.
- Assists to view and analyze impact on business users, IT departments and vendors.
- Improves pricing management by providing a complete solution to organizations using rate as well as cost.
- Improves the observations framelet to display user-personalized, targeted and meaningful information.
Usability Improvements and Enhancements
- IT Business Management supports simple cost model clean-up.
- System date format includes the American dates.
- Revisions can be viewed through quick search functionality.
- Ability to upload different unit types for various cost items (relevant for unit price or cost allocation methods).
- Allows users export a hierarchical table report to excel, and the report is available in a usable manner.
Installation and Deployment
- During installation IT Business Management allows configuring:
- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) mail distributor.
- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) group as administrator and each user added to this group will automatically inherit the group permissions.
- Tomcat version is upgraded from 7.0.39 to 7.0.52.
iPad application for IT executives
VMware IT Business Management iPad application provides transparency and control over the cost of IT services, which enables IT executive to understand and manage costs, communicate with users how they leveraged IT resources, align IT with the business and accelerate IT transformation.
The iPad application connects to the IT Business Management product deployed in the data center, providing an intuitive user interface over the existing cost model. It retrieves information from the IT cost model while allowing you to focus on specific cost objects in the system and navigate to various dimensions of them.
IT application provides:
- The CFO of IT can easily find, analyze and address budget issues.
- The CIO can focus on important business services and business users.
- All users can navigate in the model, and gain better insights on drivers, consumers, usage patterns and costs.
Other IT Business Management Suite Documentation
IT Business Management Suite includes the following product documentation.
- IT Business Management Installation and Administration Guide
- IT Business Management Suite User Guide
- IT Business Management Suite System Requirements Guide
The IT Business Management Suite installer can upgrade any version from 6.3.74 or 6.3.77 up to the latest version. If you upgrade IT Business Management from a version earlier than 7.5, see the legacy version release notes from each interim version to review sections about changed functionality and security integration.
The following issues have been resolved in this release of the IT Business Management Advanced or Enterprise edition.
If you upload large number of discarded data rows to a cost model, the IT Business Management application now processes them without displaying the Server Inaccessible error message.
When you export the cost group containing the cost object, select Export-Current Level and the locale is set to Spanish in the application. The operating system now appears in the correct format in the excel sheet.
When you set the Business Service dimension as primary dimension to any role, and if the dimension is set with Allow Aliasing to no, you will be able to successfully add a new node business service.
In case the upload takes more than ten minutes, and the SaaS Proxy drops the connection. When the user clicks Finish for the second time, the allocation setting were lost. Actions are taken to fix this.
To edit the Business Rule, the user needs to update or create permissions of Business Service or Business Service Folder, Technical Service or Technical Service Folder under the action section. Under the agreements section user needs to update or create permissions of Agreement and Master Agreement.
In Internet Explorer 10, the menu of group object and drill down menu are visible to the user, by changing to the compatibility view.
Performance of cost object of Over/Under Recovery in CFO dashboard is improved.
Performance of Cost Analysis Dashboard is improved.
User cannot see the Planning or Benchmarking tab without relevant permissions.
Dashboard title containing & character is displayed correctly.
Changes are saved when setting a business offering UDF of type Value Set in a business service instance in an agreement.
When you distribute an IT Business Management report as a mail attachment, the non-ASCII characters present in the report name were not displayed correctly. The non-ASCII characters present in the report name are now displayed correctly.
When you change the allocation settings or data of a cost object or cost group in a What-If model and run the full IT Financial Management (ITFM) cycle, allocation data changes were lost. Now the IT Business
Management application retains the changes made to the allocation settings or data.
And Additional Results option in auto completion filter is removed.
Export of cost object or levels is improved to show the data observed on the screen, but now as a default, the full path is not included. The following parameter needs to be added to the serviceflow.properties to export with full path:
In a time based dimension node if the same cost object appears in two different time periods, the
FIN_GET_COST_OBJECT_NAME function returned NULL. This function now returns the correct value.
The performance of a discarded data report for adaptors and identify operators are improved.
In the flow manager, incase an inactive job is marked as locked in the database, you can unlock the job without any error.
You can create a gauge report using the input field with a formula.
The OOTB report in IT Business Management application now displays the cost field in correct format. Earlier the display format of the cost field was set to General > Number instead of Finance > Cost.
You can now successfully export a flat file adaptor, which is configured with a fixed width.
In the Edit Drilldown screen for the drill down to webform, the configuration is now visible.
When you export a report to a CSV file and to include the total functionality, the user needs to add a new value to
"Include Totals On CSV Export" (4015) to be set to true.
You can enable and disable Closing Date on a committed flow.
Variable Format is not supported in the bar and line reports.
It is possible to design a roll-up operator with aggregated function using the mapping field.
IT Business Management now lets you synchronize the dimension of a node which appears twice in two different time periods, earlier the synchronize operation used to fail with the following error message:
"Dimensions were not synchronized" -> "An unexpected error occurred".
Reports with columns of display format SLM which could not be added to a composite report, can be added now.
In IT Business Management suite, if you open the imported fields wizard and navigate to Configure Time Zone dialog, you might notice that some of the OOTB adaptors have the timezone set to Jerusalem by default, which is incorrect. This issue is resolved, and the OOTB adaptors now have the GMT option selected by default.
When you create a flat file adaptor and import an .xls file generated from another system, the imported .xls file now contains the correct date format. Earlier, the dates were displayed in
h:mm format which is incorrect.
The synchronization dimension option of IT Business Management works even if you use old dimension data from a previous IT Business Management version. Earlier, the synchronization option failed if you used
existing dimensions of an older version.
When you drill down the business offering in the edit mode, the business offering was not displayed initially, and now the record name is displayed.
The following issues are known to exist in this release of the IT Business Management Advanced or Enterprise edition.
Reimporting an adaptor deletes data after you change date to daylight saving time.
An unexpected error occurs, if there is a character behind the semicolon for the agreement name.
Workaround: It is recommended not to use this character.
In the business case dashboard, all instances of Plan refers to Business Case.
Selecting the Transfer Cost will pop-up an error message, when you create a Duplicate Service if the cost object does not have cost for the selected period.
Inconsistent date format is displayed in the New Report Distribution page when the Japanese locale is used.
When you upload the data to IT Business Management Advanced server using Internet Explorer 10, the browser hangs sometimes, and a pop-up error message appears.
Workaround: Use a different browser.
In the Internet Explorer 10, when you create a Duplicate Role, the permissions are missing in the duplicate role.
The advanced word formatting options such as tables, table of contents, margins and background images may not be displayed correctly when exporting IT Business Management reports to PDF.
For trend operators with forecast, the trend is not calculated till the current date, if some group-bys have old data.
Mobile application does not support future costs, if the cost data in future is not intact.
After creating a Business Case cost model, you need to run a plan calc cycle before viewing all the data in the report.
In the Business Case dashboard, when the baseline cost is zero then the variance cost is not applicable, although it shows zero.
In Internet Explorer 10, when you add a Dashboard and add a Framelet, the cursor only appears when you click on the first line of the text box. The cursor does not appear, if the user clicks elsewhere.
The text cannot be saved successfully as italic format in Text Box on Firefox and Chrome browsers.
In Internet Explorer 11, the format of texts in Text Box cannot be revoked.
Workaround: User needs to work in the compatibility mode.
In the data quality dashboard, the expense source General Ledger appears as Expense in expense report.
For the cost model metrics to appear, a dashboard filter should be set to Cost Model or Cost Model and Cost Object. If the filter is not present, the data in the cost model metrics will be empty.
When you set a date in a dashboard and navigate to a report, the date is reset to default value when you click the back button.
Workaround: You need to re-set the date in the dashboard.
When you copy a flat file adaptor of type Remote File, the connection and URL fields are empty.
In the Internet Explorer 10, the export dialog under the Dependency Tree tab and when expanding a group permission tree, the dependency tree disappears.
When you have millions of records in a view or database adaptor, if you click the Data tab, the data might take a long time to load or a tablespace error might appear intermittently.
The dimension query does not ignore the deleted nodes in the result, when START_TIME = 0.
Workaround: Perform one of the following actions.
- Do not use zero (0) for START_TIME.
- Modify the following code in the identify_dimension.ers file.
((intab.start_time > @DIM_START_TIME@ and intab.start_time < @DIM_END_TIME@) or (intab.start_time = @DIM_START_TIME@ AND NOT (@DIM_START_TIME@ = @DIM_END_TIME@ and @DIM_START_TIME@ = 0)));
When you try to delete a dimension alias from a dimension, the alias is not deleted.
Even after you enable automatic time drill down for reports and the data is pre-aggregated, the drill-down does not work.
When you define a percentage for the size of the cell width and export the report to a PDF file, the column width is not set correctly.
When you export a large report to a PDF file, the header and footer in the PDF file overlap.
Chrome and Safari browsers do not support navigation through dimension levels of a table report.
Workaround: It is recommended to use Internet Explorer or Firefox browsers to view the table dimensional reports.