VMware P2V Assistant 2.1
Installing the VMware P2V Assistant
Install the VMware P2V Assistant onto the VMware P2V Assistant helper machine. This can be a physical machine or virtual machine.
Follow these steps to install the VMware P2V Assistant:
1. Ensure the P2V Assistant requirements have been met.
Refer to VMware P2V Assistant Helper Machine Requirements for specific information.
2. Obtain the latest version of the VMware P2V Assistant.
Check with your VMware Sales representative.
Recommended: Copy the program and run the installer locally. Do not run the P2V Assistant installer through Terminal Services.
3. Log on to the P2V Assistant helper machine.
Two user types are acceptable: the Administrator user, or a user who is a member of the Administrators group.
The P2V Assistant helper machine is a physical or virtual machine on which you install the VMware P2V Assistant application. Using a virtual machine is recommended for most cases and required for cloning activities for an ESX Server platform. For more information on this helper machine, see Source Machine Operating System Requirements for Reconfiguration.
Note: If you are planning to clone a Windows NT 4.0 physical machine, you may install the P2V Assistant on an additional computing device or virtual machine on which the Windows NT 4.0 operating system is installed.
4. Start the VMware P2V Assistant installer.
With the P2V Assistant installer software on the Application CD or downloaded to a local location, do one of the following:
5. Proceed through the installer, answering the prompts as indicated.
6. Begin the installation. Click Next.
7. Acknowledge the license agreement.
Click the I accept the terms in the license agreement radio button. Click Yes.
8. Enter user identification and user access information. Click Next.
Type your name and your company's name.
Select the appropriate radio button for P2V Assistant users on your system.
9. Select the setup type.
The choices are:
Complete — Installs all the P2V Assistant components in the default path on the active storage disk.
Custom — Installs the complete P2V Assistant installation, but allows you to select the installation path, and review and select from the available disk drives for sufficient storage space.
If you select Custom setup:
Note: You must install the P2V Assistant on a local drive, not a network drive.
10. Proceed with the installation at the Ready to Install the Program page. Click Next.
Various messages indicating the progress of the P2V Assistant installation appear. The P2V Assistant checks the machine on which it is installed for a compatible Windows Script version.
11. Close the P2V Assistant installer. Click Finish.
You have completed P2V Assistant installation.