VMware Player 7.1 and VMware Player Pro 7.1 Release Notes
VMware Player 7.1 | 17 February 2015
Last updated: 17 February 2015
Check for additions and updates to these release notes.
These release notes include the following topics.
This release of VMware Player includes bug fixes. It also enables a user to edit Memory and Processors settings for a restricted virtual machine without entering the restrictions password for the virtual machine.
Top of Page
The following issues might occur in VMware Player 7.1.
Using certain Microsoft Office 2013 applications in a Windows 7 or later guest operating system can cause the guest to crash or the Workstation UI to become unresponsive
For example, if you use Outlook 2013 to compose and read email, after a while, the guest might crash, or after you use Word 2013 for a while, the Workstation UI might stop responding.
Workaround: Turn off the 3D acceleration feature. From the menu bar, select VM > Settings > Display, and deselect Accelerate 3D Graphics.
- Using a USB headset with a Windows 8 or later guest operating system does not work
Because most USB headsets expect a USB 2.0 controller, whereas Windows 8 and later guest operating systems use a USB 3.0 controller by default, you cannot use USB headsets with Windows 8 or later guests.
Workaround: Change the USB controller of the guest from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0.
Using the Easy Install feature with a virtual machine that uses EFI fails if the disk size is larger than 2TB
If you attempt to select a hard disk larger than 2TB, the following error message appears: The specified virtual disk size is incompatible with Easy Install and may prevent the guest from booting properly. The
disk must be smaller than 2 TB to use Easy Install.
Workaround: Either choose a hard disk whose size is equal to or smaller than 2TB, or install the guest operating system manually.
- Cannot access Help from Virtual Machine Settings dialog box
You cannot access the Help system by clicking Help on the Virtual Machine Settings dialog box.
Workaround: Select Player > Help > Help Topics to access the help system and use the Search tab or Content tab to find the help topic.
The following issues were resolved in VMware Player 7.1.
- A Linux guest OS booted on EFI firmware sometimes failed to respond to the keyboard and mouse if any mouse motion occurred during a short window of time during OS boot. This issue has been resolved.
- You could not compact or defragment a persistent disk. This issue has been resolved.
- The UI sometimes crashed when a user copied and pasted a file between two Windows guests. This issue has been resolved.
- Rendering corruption in UI elements in Fedora 20 guests with 3D enabled has been resolved.