VMware Player 5.0.1 Release Notes
VMware Player 5.0.1 | 6 NOVEMBER 2012 | Build 894247
Check for additions and updates to these release notes.
These release notes include the following topics.
This release of VMware Player adds the following new features and support.
- Support for Ubuntu 12.10 as a host and guest has been added to Player 5.0.1
- Solaris 11 has been added to guest OS list.
Known issues from prior releases of VMware Player are described in the release notes for each release. To view release notes for the prior release of VMware Player, see the following links.
The following issues are resolved in VMware Player 5.0.1.
- When powering on a virtual machine with Binary Translation on a SMEP-capable CPU, Player no longer causes the host to reset. If you run Windows 8 hosts on IvyBridge processors, VMware strongly recommends that you update your installation of Player.
- Several security vulnerabilities have been addressed, including updating third party libraries.
- For host systems with more than 4GB of memory, Player will use more of the available memory to run virtual machines.
- The ability to mount a .vmdk file as a drive by right-clicking the file in File Explorer has been restored.
- Occasionally, certain elements in the Windows 8 user interface were incorrectly displayed. This has been fixed.
- After disconnecting certain USB devices from a virtual machine, Player would prevent devices from being reconnected without restarting the virtual machine. A more comprehensive error handling code has been added to prevent this problem from occurring.
- To improve application startup performance, the data being collected as part of the optional User Experience Improvement Program will no longer be aggregated on every launch of Player.
- Easy Install on the Linux version of Player now recognize all compatible operating systems.
- The VMware monitor has been updated to work with Linux kernel 3.5.
- Animated cursors are now displayed correctly in a virtual machine.
Top of Page
Known issues from prior releases of VMware Player 5 also might apply to VMware Player 5.0.1.
Top of Page