VMware ThinApp 4 Release Notes
These release notes cover the following topics:
ThinApp 4.0.2 | 24 MAR 2009 | Build 3089
Last Document Update: 20 MAY 2009
Check frequently for additions and updates to these release notes.
The 4.0.2 release adds the Wow64 parameter
to the Package.ini file. You can use this parameter to help run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit Windows operating system.
Updated: The 4.0.2 release removes the NoRelocation parameter from the Package.ini file.
ThinApp 4.0.2 is also a maintenance bug fix release. See Resolved Issues.
Prior Releases of VMware ThinApp 4
Features from prior releases of VMware ThinApp 4 are described in the release notes for each release. To view release notes for prior releases of VMware ThinApp 4, click one of the following links:
Top of Page
The following issues were fixed for this release:
- Added support for capturing and registering shortcuts for files other than executable files.
For example, you can register shortcuts for batch files and control panel extensions.
- Fixed an issue that prevented ThinApp from expanding captured environment variables in a package at runtime if the variables contained the % character.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the IsWow64Process() state from being emulated from the capture machine instead of the runtime machine.
This fix addresses an issue with Toad Expert packaged with Oracle 9.7 that ran on a 64-bit host.
- Fixed an issue that prevented ThinApp from placing the contents of the sandbox folder into a separate folder
identified by the sandbox name. The issue occurred when the SandboxPath parameter in the Package.ini file has a value of ".".
- Fixed a Missing Import error that prevented you from starting a captured Lotus Approach application.
- Fixed an Access Denied error that prevented you from starting certain applications installed on the physical system from a virtual application.
- Fixed an issue in which the sbmerge.exe utility crashed when merging sandbox changes from certain applications.
- Fixed an issue in which the ReadFileEx Windows function did not handle overlapped I/O properly.
- Fixed an issue that prevented applications from browsing the recycle bin on Windows XP.
- Fixed an issue that generated an error about remaining files and registry keys during the uninstall process for a captured application.
- Fixed an issue in which Microsoft Money 2005 failed to start.
- Fixed an issue in which the Windows Vista shim engine caused captured applications to crash.
This fix addresses the Adobe Reader update agent.
- Fixed an issue in which Ghostscript failed to start.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the proper display of console windows for 16-bit applications.
- Fixed an issue that prevented applications that depend on the msvcrt.dll file from detecting virtual environment variables.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the thinreg.exe utility from registering packages built with Thinstall version 3.358.
- Fixed an issue that caused the svchost.exe utility to crash when Internet Explorer 7, Microsoft Word 2003, or Microsoft Word 2007 started for the first time on Windows Vista or Windows 2003.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the Citrix ICA client from opening when the Application Sync utility was enabled.
- Fixed an issue in which services that are not interactive run on a separate desktop.
- Fixed an issue in which the vSphere Client failed to start on Windows Server 2008 without Administrator rights.
- Fixed an issue that caused the vregtool.exe utility to set Full isolation mode instead of WriteCopy isolation mode.
The vregtool.exe utility compiles the virtual registry during the build process of the captured application.
- Fixed an issue in which BMC Appsight failed to capture the screen video when the captured applications ran.
- Fixed an issue that prevented AHLTA applications from loading drawing templates.
- Fixed an issue in which ThinApp did not update the virtual registry file timestamp and prevented roaming profiles from copying the file when you logged out.
- Fixed an issue in which IBM iSeries Access failed to start.
- Fixed an issue in which the thinreg.exe utility triggered an error message when the utility skipped packages because of Active Directory settings.
- Fixed an issue that prevented cmd.exe and regedit.exe shortcuts created on later Windows operating system versions from working on earlier operating system versions.
Top of Page
The following are known issues for this release:
- Updated: For any Log Monitor references to the Generate text trace report button in the VMware ThinApp User's Manual, use the Generate advanced report button instead.
Log Monitor has a Generate default report button and a Generate advanced report button. A default report shows the calls that virtual modules generate.
An advanced report shows all calls.
- Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot create a PDF file from a Word or Excel document.
- The Application Sync utility fails when the AppSyncURL parameter in the Package.ini file contains Japanese characters.
You can only use ASCII characters.
- Acrobat Reader 9 causes 100 percent utilization.
- Microsoft Word 2003 hangs for 10 seconds when you open and close the Microsoft Equation Editor.
The Equation Editor feature creates a COM object. When you close the Equation Editor, the Winword.exe utility tries
to free the object after 10 seconds if the object is not reopened. When the object is free, the Equation Editor crashes.
To address this issue, deselect the Equation Editor as an option during the Microsoft Office 2003 installation.
- Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7 do not work on Vista.
- Windows and Google Search do not work with ThinApp-captured Outlook.
- Using Microsoft Office 2003 Excel files in Office 2007 compatibility mode causes an error.
- For backward compatibility reasons, Thinstall appears in the user profile and as the folder in which the sandbox is created.
- Log Monitor might generate multiple trace files for an application.
- Packaging an application on hard drives with a very small amount of free space can cause issues during the packaging process.
Top of Page