VMware ThinApp 4 Release Notes
These release notes cover the following topics:
ThinApp 4.0.3 | 18 JUNE 2009 | Build 3313
Last Document Update: 26 OCT 2009
New: The 4.0.3 release adds support for specifying environment variables in the VirtualComputerName
parameter of the Package.ini file. The GetComputerName and GetComputerNameEx API functions
return the value of the VirtualComputerName parameter in a captured application.
The 4.0.3 release adds the ObjectTypes parameter
to the Package.ini file. You can use this parameter to specify a list of virtual COM objects that are visible
to other applications in the physical environment.
The 4.0.3 release changed the name of the VMware ThinApp User's Manual to ThinApp User's Guide.
ThinApp 4.0.3 is also a maintenance bug fix release. See Resolved Issues.
Prior Releases of VMware ThinApp 4
Features from prior releases of VMware ThinApp 4 are described in the release notes for each release. To view release notes for prior releases of VMware ThinApp 4, click one of the following links:
Top of Page
ThinApp 4.0.3 addresses issues that affect the following applications:
- Adobe Reader 9
- Adobe Reader 8 Update component on Windows Vista
- Smartplant License Manager
- Microsoft Office Groove
- Windows Live Messenger
- AutoCAD 2000
- eVIT by LUURENS
- VMware vSphere Client
- Internet Explorer 7
- Lotus Notes
- SigmaPlot 11.0
- QuickTime Control Panel
This release resolves these issues:
- COM object creation fails between primary desktop and non-interactive virtual services that affect the Windows
- The tlink.exe build utility of ThinApp crashes when multiple language icons exist in an executable file.
- The %SYSTEMSYTEM%\SPOOL folder causes the capture of printer spool files.
This might cause printing errors in a Microsoft Office package.
- Thinapp prevents a Lotus Notes package from starting captured Microsoft Office applications to open attachments.
- An Internet Explorer 7 package cannot detect external Active Directory policies.
- Acrobat Reader 9 causes 100 percent utilization.
- ThinApp is unable to pass captured batch file shortcut targets that require command-line arguments.
- Log Monitor generates errors when a sandbox on the network is locked by another computer.
Top of Page
The following known issues affect this release:
- New: The ThinApp User's Guide states that ThinApp does not support nested Active Directory groups.
Active Directory Domain Services define security groups and distribution groups. ThinApp can only support nested security groups.
- ThinApp installation errors might occur with system login names that contain Japanese characters.
- Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot create a PDF file from a Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel document.
- The Application Sync utility fails when the AppSyncURL parameter in the Package.ini file contains Japanese characters.
To prevent this failure, use ASCII characters in the AppSyncURL parameter.
- Microsoft Word 2003 stops responding when you open and close the Microsoft Equation Editor.
The Equation Editor feature creates a COM object. When you close the Equation Editor, the Winword.exe utility tries
to free the object and causes the Equation Editor to fail.
To prevent this failure, deselect the Equation Editor option during the Microsoft Office 2003 installation.
- Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7 do not work on Windows Vista.
- Windows and Google Search do not work with a captured Microsoft Outlook application.
- Using Microsoft Office 2003 Excel files in Office 2007 compatibility mode causes an error.
- For backward compatibility reasons, Thinstall appears in the user profile and as the folder in which the sandbox is created.
- Packaging applications on hard drives with limited space can generate errors during the packaging process.
Top of Page