VMware ThinApp 4.5 Release Notes
These release notes cover the following topics:
ThinApp 4.5 | 17 MAR 2010 | Build 238809
Last Document Update: 25 MAR 2010
The 4.5 release adds the following features to improve usability, performance, and updates:
- Support for Windows Server 2008 R2, 32-bit Windows 7, and 64-bit Windows 7 operating systems.
- ThinApp version updates to incorporate the latest features or support enhancements without rebuilding packages.
The relink.exe utility updates existing packages.
- Compression of MSI packages that uses the MSICompressionType parameter to improve the ThinApp SDK performance.
- Reduced memory consumption and page file usage to improve startup performance. The OptimizeFor parameter works
with the CompressionType parameter to customize memory performance and startup time.
- Anonymous collection of statistics to expand the support for applications. You can use the Setup Capture wizard or the
QualityReportingEnabled parameter to help VMware build support for applications and help you migrate more native
applications to a virtual environment.
- Loading of DLL files as virtual DLL files without using API functions. The ForcedVirtualLoadPaths parameter loads
external system DLL files that depend on DLL files inside the package.
- Product interface updates to improve usability and link to video and documentation information. German and Japanese versions of the ThinApp User's Guide are available.
For more information about new features, see the What's New section of the VMware ThinApp blog.
Top of Page
Prior Releases of VMware ThinApp 4
Features from prior releases of VMware ThinApp 4 are described in the release notes for each release. To view release notes for prior releases, click one of the following links:
Top of Page
Before You Begin
Read the ThinApp User's Guide for installation requirements. Verify that the Windows operating systems have the latest security patches.
The 4.5 release resolves these issues:
- visual FM fails when you start Log Monitor before opening the application.
- When you capture the SAP GUI and deploy it on a system with native Microsoft Office 2007,
you cannot start Microsoft Word 2007 from the command line in the virtual environment.
- The capture process fails to build packages when zero byte entry points exist.
- Virtual Microsoft Excel cannot send email as an attachment on a system with native Microsoft Outlook.
- SAP Client fails when you run Log Monitor before starting the application.
- Microsoft Office Live Meeting cannot connect to meetings.
- Virtual Internet Explorer versions 6 and 7 block access to Windows properties or HTML fields when Internet
Explorer 8 exists in the native environment.
- The mySAP CRM Mobile Client component generates login errors.
- When a folder is set to Full or WriteCopy isolation mode, and a subfolder is set to Merged isolation mode, you cannot create a folder within the Merged
folder when the Merged folder is empty and its path does not exit on the native operating system.
- Internet Explorer versions 7 and 8 cannot retain proxy settings.
- The build process fails for packages when the file path exceeds the maximum path length in the Windows API.
- When you start SigmaPlot on Windows Vista for the first time and try to close the application, a dialog box about an application failure appears.
- Apple iTunes fails when you start the application a second time and the sandbox is present.
- You cannot use virtual think-cell to insert graphs into Microsoft Excel or Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Microsoft Visual Studio generates a license error when you open the application.
- Axure RP Pro generates an error when you start the application.
- PhotoModeler fails when you start the application or when you try to open a file.
- The postscan operation in the capture process fails to store all the registry settings for IBM Rational ClearQuest Client.
- SAP BusinessObjects Data Services and Index Designer fail to start when you include a VBscript in the project.
- The SAP Client cannot locate the application help file.
- The logging component of the Genesys Provisioning release causes the application to fail.
- When you start the Citrix Online plug-in 11.2, the CPU increases to 100 percent.
Top of Page
The following known issues affect the 4.5 release:
- New: If you install Adobe Flash Player on a capture system to watch the Quick Start video in the Setup Capture wizard,
and you capture applications that require Adobe Flash Player, the captured applications fail when you deploy them on a system that does not have Adobe Flash Player.
To avoid deployment errors, you can install Adobe Flash Player to watch the video and revert to a clean snapshot of the capture system before you
capture an application. If you do not want to install Adobe Flash Player, you can watch the video on YouTube from a browser
outside of the capture environment.
- New: The ThinApp User's Guide provides incorrect examples for the OptimizeFor parameter that place the parameter
in the [BuildOptions] section of the Package.ini file.
You must place the OptimizeFor parameter in the [Compression]
section of the Package.ini file.
- When you use the Application Link utility, you must build the base package and linked packages with the
same version of ThinApp.
To upgrade older packages to include the latest version of the ThinApp runtime, use the relink.exe utility.
- If you restart the system after completing the prescan operation of the capture process, restart
the Setup Capture wizard, and cancel the wizard in the confirmation dialog box, you cannot restart the wizard at a later time
without responding to the confirmation dialog box again to continue with the existing capture process or start a new capture process.
To prevent the loop of confirmation dialog boxes, select a new capture process rather than the current capture process and cancel the wizard.
- If you do not select the primary data container during the capture process, or you use characters such as pound signs (#), question marks (?), or forward slashes (/) in the primary data container name, the build process fails to generate the virtualized executable files.
- When you capture Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise in C:\ThinAppProgramFiles instead of a standard location, the package
generates an error on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit.
To prevent the error when you deploy the package on 64-bit operation systems, the path must adhere to the 8.3 filename convention. You can install the application in C:\OFFICE.
- When you run Log Monitor with Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7, Log Monitor might affect the performance of Internet Explorer or cause the application to fail.
- When you try to create a company in Intuit QuickBooks, the application fails.
- Apache Tomcat fails to shut down on Windows 7.
- The instant search feature of Microsoft Outlook does not work on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows 7.
- The vSphere Client 4.0 cannot connect to ESX hosts version 3.5 or 4.1 unless the connection exists before the postscan capture process.
- ThinApp does not support folder macros, such as %AppData%, when the macros expand to directories on UNC shares.
If you capture applications with customized data for each user, you might lose that customization or the application might fail
when group policy folder redirection relocates %AppData% to UNC paths on the deployment machine.
To prevent the application failure or data loss, you can capture the application without user
customization, use mapped drives, or use roaming profiles.
- Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot create a PDF file from a Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel document.
- The Application Sync utility fails when the AppSyncURL parameter in the Package.ini file contains Japanese characters.
To prevent this failure, use ASCII characters in the AppSyncURL parameter.
- Microsoft Word 2003 stops responding when you open and close the Microsoft Equation Editor.
The Equation Editor feature creates a COM object. When you close the Equation Editor, the Winword.exe utility tries
to free the object and causes the Equation Editor to fail.
To prevent this failure, deselect the Equation Editor option during the Microsoft Office 2003 installation.
- Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7 do not work on Windows Vista.
- Windows and Google search do not work with virtual Microsoft Outlook.
- Using Microsoft Office 2003 Excel files in Microsoft Office 2007 compatibility mode generates an error.
- For backward compatibility reasons, Thinstall appears in the user profile and as the folder in which ThinApp creates the sandbox.
- Packaging applications on hard drives with limited space can generate errors during the packaging process.
For more information about known issues with ThinApp packages, see the VMware knowledge base.
Top of Page