VMware ThinApp 4.6.1 Release Notes
These release notes cover the following topics:
ThinApp 4.6.1 | 24 Feb 2011 | Build 361923
Last Document Update: 23 Feb 2011
The ThinApp 4.6.1 release adds the following features to improve usability, performance, and updates:
- Improved support for Microsoft Office 2010 applications.
- Known issues related to Internet Explorer 7 and Internet Explorer 8 have been addressed.
- New options have been added to the package.ini file.
- S x S COM is now supported.
- More than 160 known issues have been resolved, resulting in improved application support.
For additional information about ThinApp 4.6.1, visit the following Web sites:
Top of Page
Prior Releases of VMware ThinApp 4
Features from prior releases of VMware ThinApp 4 are described in the release notes for each release. To view release notes for prior releases, click one of the following links:
Top of Page
Before You Begin
Read the ThinApp User's Guide for installation requirements. Verify that the Windows operating systems have the latest security patches.
The ThinApp 4.6.1 release resolves these issues:
- Adobe Reader 7 and 8 crashes randomly on Vista and Windows 7 platforms.
- Virtual QuickTime 7.5 running on Windows Vista or Windows 7 platforms crashes when clicking Cancel in the Update dialog box.
- When virtual Microsoft Office 2007 applications are opened on 64-bit platforms, the launch fails with a There is not enough memory or disk space to run message.
- You cannot copy a file from a virtual file system to a network drive using virtual cmd.exe.
- The Japanese input method for entering characters in virtual Microsoft Office 2007and 2010 running on Windows 7 can only be used by users with administrator permissions.
- Virtual FireFox 2 running on Windows XP 64-bit, Windows XP SP2, or Windows 2003 SP3 platforms cannot play Shockwave files.
- When performing File > Open on virtual Windows Excel 2010 running on Windows XP SP3, the file does not open.
- Virtual Internet Explorer 7 Help does not open on Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit.
- Virtual Internet Explorer 7 running on Windows 7 32-bit, Vista 32-bit, or Vista 64-bit crashes after closing.
Top of Page
The following known issues affect the ThinApp 4.6.1 release:
- If you install Adobe Flash Player on a capture system to watch the Quick Start video in the Setup Capture wizard,
and you capture applications that require Adobe Flash Player, the captured applications fail when you deploy them on a system that does not have Adobe Flash Player.
To avoid deployment errors, you can install Adobe Flash Player to watch the video and revert to a clean snapshot of the capture system before you capture an application. If you do not want to install Adobe Flash Player, you can watch the video on YouTube from a browser
outside of the capture environment.
- Virtual Internet Explorer 6 does not display Internet Explorer help correctly on Windows 7.
- Virtual Internet Explorer 6 does not work on Windows Vista.
- Non-administrative users cannot run thinreg /a. If a non-administrative user runs thinreg /a on Virtual Internet Explorer 6 with a ThinDirect.txt file, redirection is not implemented, however an error message does not appear.
- When ThinDirect is used to redirect a URL from Internet Explorer 8 to a virtualized Internet Explorer 6 URL, the Internet Explorer 6 window might be hidden behind the Internet Explorer 8 window. In addition, the redirection message might appear in a second Internet Explorer 8 tab, adjacent to the original Internet Explorer 8 tab.
- When deploying virtual Japanese 2007 Office on Windows 7, the Japanese characters inserted in Word might display incorrectly. To correct the display, change the font to ＭＳ ゴシック.
- Virtual Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot create a PDF file from a native Microsoft Word or native Microsoft Excel document. ThinApp does not support virtualization of printer drivers.
- When you use the Application Link utility, you must build the base package and linked packages using the
same version of ThinApp.
To upgrade older packages to include the latest version of the ThinApp runtime, use the relink.exe utility.
- The Application Sync utility fails when the AppSyncURL parameter in the Package.ini file contains Japanese characters.
To prevent this failure, use ASCII characters in the AppSyncURL parameter.
- When you use the Application Sync utility to update a virtual browser that has ThinDirect implemented, changes that have been made to the ThinDirect.txt file are not detected.
- For backward compatibility reasons, Thinstall appears in the user profile and as the folder in which ThinApp creates the sandbox.
- A ThinApp package must be used with the ThinApp SDK on an operating system that uses the same code page (language).
- To ensure that non-English versions of virtual applications that are captured by ThinApp display the correct language user interface, during the ThinApp capture you must open the natively installed version on the capture machine before you start the post scan operation.
- The Help for virtual Microsoft Office 2010 applications running on the Windows 2008 or Windows 7 64-bit platforms does not display correctly.
- Virtual Internet Explorer 6 Help running on Windows 7 does not display Help topics.
- When you attempt to run virtual Microsoft 2010 applications the first time by double-clicking a file name, the application might fail to open and an error message is displayed that Windows cannot find a file. To search for the file, go to Start > Search > For files or folders and enter the file name. The application launches and the file opens.
- When use of a proxy is enabled in virtual Microsoft Excel 2007 running on Windows XP SP2 32-bit, you cannot perform Web queries or import data.
- Virtual Adobe Premiere Elements 8 does not run on 64-bit platforms.
- You cannot open files in virtual Word 2010 running on Windows Vista 32-bit or Windows 2008 64-bit platforms when Word is running in Protected View.
- When attempting to search for something using the Research pane in virtual Microsoft Excel 2003 running on Windows Vista and Windows 7 unexpected behavior is encountered. Windows Installer opens and the following error message appears Error 1719: The Windows Installer Service Could not be accessed. This can occur if the Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.
Click OK each of the three times that the error message is displayed. The Research pane shows the result for the searched keyword.
- An error message is displayed in the console when you use non-ASCII characters in application installer subdirectory names. However, the package is successfully built.
- Virtual Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express SP1 services fail to start on Windows 64-bit platforms.
- When running ThinApp Converter on Workstation virtual machines, ensure that the Workstation virtual machines are using bridged networking.
- When running more than one instance of ThinApp Converter, ensure that the INI files are configured so that the Converters do not use the same virtual machines.
- For optimal performance, use Windows 2003 or Windows 2008 as a file server for network share. The file server requires sufficient system resources to handle a high volume of file operations. Do not use the host that runs the ThinAppConverter.exe as the file server for the network share.
- ThinApp Converter runs on multiple virtual machines simultaneously. To prevent errors, ensure that the virtual machines do not have identical names.
For more information about known issues with ThinApp packages, see the VMware knowledge base.
Top of Page