VMware ThinApp 4.7.1 Release Notes
These release notes cover the following topics:
ThinApp 4.7.1 | 26 April 2012 | Build 677178
Last Document Update: 26 April 2012
The ThinApp 4.7.1 release provides a number of key bug fixes detailed in the Known Issues section.
For additional information about ThinApp 4.7.1, visit the following Web sites:
Top of Page
Prior Releases of VMware ThinApp 4
Features from prior releases of VMware ThinApp 4 are described in the release notes for each release. To view release notes for prior releases, click one of the following links:
Top of Page
The ThinApp 4.7.1 release resolves the following issues:
ThinDirect supports the redirection of all browser pages except a specified list of URLs, instead of only supporting the redirection of only a list of specified URLs. This enhancement, new in ThinApp 4.6.2, is supported only in Internet Explorer 6.
- Microsoft Word 2003 virtualized with ThinApp does not read registry values for international settings.
- Microsoft Office 2010 can now be deployed on systems with Office 2010 natively installed.
- Virtual Microsoft KMS-licensed packages can now run concurrently with other virtual KMS-licensed packages.
- ThinApp packages now support SMB 2.0 protocol for sandbox access between Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows 2008, or Windows 2003 operating systems.
- A virtualized ThinApp application fails, when you run the application on one Windows 7 system and set the sandbox location to a share on another Windows 7 system.
- Wire 200 application virtualized using ThinApp fails to start.
- On Microsoft Windows XP, Victor player virtualized using ThinApp 4.6.1 or 4.7 does not detect the UDF files (Universal Disk Format) present on the CD drive.
- ThinApp fails to start the WordPad application in a virtualized Windows 7 operating system.
- The list of email recipients for a Web-based application is empty if you access it through virtualized Internet Explorer 6.
- When you run virtualized Visual Lighting application on ESX host or Workstation 7 host and perform a specific function, the application displays the following error message:
There is not enough virtual memory available to perform the calculation!
Try closing other applications or increasing your virtual memory to a minimum of 1500MB. Click the 'Learn More...' button below for instructions
- When you start a radiology application virtualized with ThinApp 4.6, the application fails with the following error message:
xpdyinfo.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience
xhost.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience
xgwingea.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience
- When you attempt to start the virtualized instance of JT2Go application, the application fails with the following error message:
Unable to load DLL C:\THinapp\SW\JT2Go\Products\JT2Go\VisView.exe -> mfc90.dll
the specified module could not be found.
- You can start only one instance of the virtualized Misys Tiger application at a time.
- A virtualized instance of Internet Explorer 6 fails to open a Windows shortcut to a folder, and displays the CLASS_E_CLASSNOTAVAILABLE error.
- When you exit the virtualized AGT Infogestion 4 application, the files present in the
Sandboxfolder are not deleted.
- When you try to start Lewis Digant application (Java based) on Windows XP SP3 with ThinApp 4.7.1, the following pop-up message is displayed:
Unable to validate your license. Please contact Technical Support.
- On Microsoft Windows 7 or later, when you try to create a ThinApp package MSI file which is more than 2GB in size, the MSI creation fails with the following error:
The system cannot open the device or file specified.
- When you start Firefox virtualized on a 32-bit operating system and try to open a PDF file on a 64-bit operating system, the application fails.
- After you login to Infinitt with virtual Internet Explorer 6, the application closes without giving any warning or error message.
- When you start virtualized Wellcore Field Completions application, the user interface elements are not visible. This is observed when you use Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP Service Pack3.
- The help file in virtualized CaliberRM 2008 Service Pack 1 is not accessible.
- When you virtualize Internet Explorer 6 as per instructions in the ThinApp User Guide, some specific security updates are not applied.
- When you start a scanner function in virtualized Epic Summer application, the scanner user interface fails to appear. This issue is observed for Fujitsu scanners on Windows XP Service Pack 3.
- When you start virtualized CtrlWORK 2.5.10 application pop ups fail to appear. This is observed on Windows XP Service Pack 3 with Internet Explorer 6.
- In Microsoft Windows XP, when you use Appsync to update a ThinApp application captured in 4.6.1 or earlier to an application captured in 4.6.2 or later the application fails.
- Log monitor now provides advanced logging and filtering settings to control log levels and formats. These settings can be changed by modifying the Capture.ini and LogFilter.ini files. Customers should typically ignore these settings unless they are suggested by VMware support to make changes for troubleshooting.
Top of Page
The following known issues are known to occur in ThinApp 4.7.1 release:
- The facility management application FM TOOLS, virtualized using ThinApp 4.6.1 or ThinApp 4.6.2 fails to display graphs.
- If you install Adobe Flash Player on a capture system to watch the Quick Start video in the Setup Capture wizard,
and you capture applications that require Adobe Flash Player, the captured applications fail when you deploy them on a system that does not have Adobe Flash Player.
To avoid deployment errors, you can install Adobe Flash Player to watch the video and revert to a clean snapshot of the capture system before you capture an application. If you do not want to install Adobe Flash Player, you can watch the video on YouTube from a browser
outside of the capture environment.
- A virtualized Internet Explorer 6 instance does not display Internet Explorer Help correctly on Windows 7.
- Non-administrative users cannot run thinreg /a. If a non-administrative user runs thinreg /a on a virtualized instance of Internet Explorer 6 with a ThinDirect.txt file, although redirection is not implemented, an error message does not appear.
- When deploying virtualized Japanese version of Microsoft 2007 Office on Windows 7, the Japanese characters inserted in Word might appear incorrectly. To correct the display, change the font to ＭＳ ゴシック.
- A ThinApp package must be used with the ThinApp SDK on an operating system that uses the same code page (language).
- In virtual Internet Explorer 9, you need to deselect the Enable Protected Mode check box in the Internet Options > Security tab, so that the Open in new tab feature works.
- When you attempt to run virtual Microsoft 2010 applications the first time by double-clicking a file name, the application might fail to open, and an error message states that Windows cannot find a file. To search for the file, go to Start > Search > For files or folders and enter the file name. The application starts and the file opens.
- You cannot open files in virtual Word 2010 running on Windows Vista 32-bit or Windows Server 2008 64-bit platforms when Word is running in Protected View.
- Virtual Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express SP1 services fail to start on Windows 64-bit platforms.
- ThinApp Converter runs on multiple virtual machines simultaneously. To prevent errors, ensure that the virtual machines do not have identical names.
- Thinreg.exe registers virtualized applications even if an incorrect parameter is used.
For more information about known issues with ThinApp packages, see the VMware Knowledge Base.
Top of Page