VMware ThinApp 4.7.3 Release Notes
These release notes cover the following topics:
ThinApp 4.7.3 | 13 November 2012 | Build 891762
Last Document Update: 13 November 2012
The ThinApp 4.7.3 release adds support for packaging and execution of virtualized applications on Windows 8 operating system. The Windows 8 support enables cross-platform capability for many applications regardless of the operating system of capture. The cross-platform capability is an important component of supporting the latest Microsoft Windows releases for both managed and unmanaged endpoints.
New Package.ini parameter - You can use the PreventDllInjection=1 parameter to prevent ThinApp runtime from loading a DLL when another external
application calls the SetWindowHook to set a global hook. This parameter should be used only when the hook is in conflict with a virtualized application. For example, if a virtualized application is unable to start because the other application NxPowerLite calls SetWindowsHook to set a global hook
oehook.dll, modifying the package.ini with PreventDllInjection entry allows the virtualized application to start.
For additional information about ThinApp 4.7.3, visit the following Web sites:
Top of Page
Prior Releases of VMware ThinApp 4
Features from prior releases of VMware ThinApp 4 are described in the release notes for each release. To view release notes for prior releases, click one of the following links:
Top of Page
The ThinApp 4.7.3 release resolves the following issues:
- When you start virtualized Internet Explorer 7 on a Windows 8 or Windows Server system, the following error message is displayed:
Cannot find 'url'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.
- When you start virtualized applications for the first time, an access violation error message is displayed. This issue is observed for applications virtualized with ThinApp 4.7.2.
- Virtualized Internet Explorer 6.0 stops responding when you attempt to open a PDF file from the Acrobat Reader X installed on the system.
- ThinApp MSI upgrade option fails when you try to upgrade virtualized Mozilla Firefox 12 to Mozilla Firefox 13.
- Crossbase application virtualized using ThinApp 4.7.1 fails to start on Windows XP and Windows 7 operating systems.
- Compared to ThinApp versions 4.6.1 or 4.7 the performance of virtualized Firefox 12 is inconsistent on ThinApp 4.7.1.
- Service Center Perigrine virtualized with ThinApp fails to start on Windows 7 and Windows 7 X64 operating systems.
- When you activate EULA with RuntimeEULA=1 in Package.ini file and run the application package, ThinApp displays older version of the VMware logo and EULA text.
- On a Windows 8 operating system, if you open a file with a virtualized instance of PowerPoint 2003, PowerPoint fails with the following error message:
Microsoft Office PowerPoint has stopped working.
- When you try to run the virtual version of Lotus Notes whose sandbox path is on a Novell share, the application fails with the following error message:
Unable to access data directory 'C:\Programme\IBM\Lotus\Notes' using the preferences file 'J:Notes\Data\notes.ini'
- When you attempt to use the record function of a HP Vugen application virtualized with ThinApp 4.7 the application fails with the following error:
iexplorer.exe- Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.
- Virtual version of Eclipse might not recognize the system path and the system environment variable if the user modifies them.
- If the directory in the DFS share is hosted on a NetApp device, in the user interface ThinApp might not display directories or files present on the DFS share.
- ThinApp forces the repair of the Microsoft Office 2010, when you launch some instances of Microsoft Excel from the virtual version of SAP 7.20.
- When you open and close a PDF file multiple times using Adobe Acrobat in virtual Internet Explorer 6.0 as an inline viewer, virtual IE 6.0 fails due to increased memory usage.
- Virtual Internet Explorer 6.0 fails to access any Website on Windows 8 operating system.
- Internet Explorer does not redirect the Thindirect URLs to the SeaMonkey browser even, if you enable the Thindirect plug-in.
- When you perform Appsync upgrade of an application from ThinApp 4.7.0 to 4.7.2 it results in the following error message:
The system cannot find the file specified. For more information see Knowledge Base article 2036567.
- The ThinDirect plug-in allows only the virtual Internet Explorer 6.0 to redirect the URLs to the native browser. On other browsers the redirection option might not work.
- When you enable the Turn on User Account Control option in Control Panel, virtual Internet Explorer 8.0 and Internet Explorer 9.0 might not display Internet Explorer help topics.
- Virtualized Google Chrome browser fails to start on Windows 8 operating system.
- On Windows 8 operating system, you cannot save a file with .pdf or .xps extension with virtualized Microsoft Word 2010 or Microsoft PowerPoint 2010.
- ThinApp fails to start virtual URL package on Windows 8 operating system.
- Virtualized Internet Explorer 7.0 fails to start on Windows 8 operating system.
In virtualized Internet Explorer 7.0 when you select What's new in windows Server 2012 option from the help menu, Internet Explorer fails with the following error message:
Internet Explorer has stopped working
This issue is observed on the Windows Server 2012 operating system.
- When you start the virtual version of HP User Generator for the first time, the application displays the following error message:
spill file I/O error.
- In virtualized Internet Explorer 6.0 the Browse option in the Certificate Import Wizard (Tools >Internet Options >Content >Certificates >Import) might not work. This issue is observed on Windows 8 operating system.
- On Windows 8 operating system, when you attempt to print a Web page from virtualized Internet Explorer 6.0 the application displays the following Printing error message:
An error occurred during this operation.
- When you start Camtasia Studio virtualized with ThinApp 4.7.1 the application fails with the following error message:
Camtasia Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- ThinApp sandbox might not save the changes made to the virtual version of Mozilla Firefox on Windows 8 operating system.
- On Windows 8 operating system, the buttons on the Manage Add-ons page of virtualized Internet Explorer 9.0 might not work.
- The Protected Mode settings of the virtualized Internet Explorer 9.0 are inconsistent with the native Internet Explorer settings on Windows 8 operating system.
- Blackberry 9780 Simulator's browser might not start on ThinApp which is deployed on a system with Windows XP operating system.
- Some Log monitor features like Profiling Data and Function Usages do not work on official ThinApp builds of Buildweb.
The following known issues are known to occur in the ThinApp 4.7.3 release:
- Virtual Internet Explorer 6 displays incorrect Internet Explorer Help on Windows 7 operating system.
- When you attempt to run virtual Microsoft 2010 applications the first time by double-clicking a file name, the application might fail to open and an error message is displayed that Windows cannot find a file. To search for the file, go to Start > Search > For files or folders and enter the file name the application starts.
- Thinreg.exe registers virtual applications even if a wrong argument is used.
- ThinDirect functionality does not support POST data operation.
- Virtualized Microsoft Outlook 2003 running on Windows 2000 fails when it receives an e-mail message containing an embedded object as an attachment.
- On Windows 8 operating system, virtualized Microsoft Visio 2010 stops responding when you try to insert a shape into a flowchart.
Workaround: After completing the Microsoft Visio capture, exclude the %Fonts% folder from the project directory.
Virtualized Internet Explorer 8.0 captured on an operating system version earlier than Windows Vista fails to start on Windows 8.
- Capture Internet Explorer 8 on a clean Windows XP system after upgrading Internet Explorer 6.0 to Internet Explorer 8.0.
- Install Internet Explorer 8.0 on a clean Windows Vista system.
- Copy Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEShims.dll from Windows Vista to ProgramFilesDir%\Internet Explorer of Windows XP capture project.
- The contents of the help files are not displayed for virtualized version of Microsoft Office 2010
Workaround: After completing the Microsoft Office 2010 capture, exclude the %Fonts% folder from the project directory.
- On Windows Server 2012, when you click a hyperlink to a web url's in Microsoft Word 2003, 2007 and 2010 it results in the following error message:
Internet Low-Mic Utility Tool has stopped working.
If you select the option to close the dialog box it results in another error message
An Unexpected error has occurred
On Windows Server 2012, virtualized Microsoft Excel 2003, 2007 and 2010 fails with an error message when you click a hyperlink to a web url:
Microsoft Office Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action
Workaround: To resolve the hyperlink issue, add the following parameters in package.ini and rebuild the project
- The combination of virtualized Java Runtime Environment and Internet Explorer 9.0 does not work.
- Install the latest version of ThinApp on a clean Windows 7 operating system (with the built-in Internet Explorer 8)
- Run prescan with Setup Capture and install the Internet Explorer 9 and restart the system
- Continue the capture process, install the latest version of JAVA Run Time
- Open the Internet Options and uncheck the Enable Protected Mode (requires restarting Internet Explorer) in the Security tab for Internet zone. Close Internet Options and the Internet Explorer.
- Restart the Internet Explorer. If you are prompted with the warning message Protected mode is turned off for the Internet zone. Select Don't show this message again option and exit.
- Continue the capture process and build the project
- On virtualized Internet Explorer 9.0, the link Find more toolbars and extensions on Manage Add-ons page might not work. This issue is observed on Windows 8 operating system.
Workaround: Include the following information into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.txt in the Internet Explorer 9.0 project and rebuild it:
isolation_full HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\IE.HTTP\shell\open\command Value=
REG_SZ~"%ProgramFilesDir%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" %1#2300
isolation_full HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\http\shell\open\command Value=
REG_SZ~"%ProgramFilesDir%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" %1#2300
When you print some PDF documents from virtualized Adobe Reader 10.1.2 or 10.1.3 the printed files contains some incorrect characters.
For more information about known issues with ThinApp packages, see the VMware Knowledge Base. The Knowledge Base articles added and updated in ThinApp 4.7.3 are:
- When you perform Appsync upgrade of an application from ThinApp 4.7.2 to 4.7.3 AppSync displays the following error message.
The operating system cannot run. For more information see 2036567.
- Issues with ThinApp and Microsoft Office 2010. See 1022287.
- Virtualized Internet Explorer 8.0 captured on an operating system version earlier than Windows Vista fails to start on Windows 8. For more information see 2038758
Top of Page