vCenter Hyperic 5.8 Release Notes
vCenter Hyperic 5.8 | 10 December 2013 | Build 623
Last Document Update: 09 Dec 2013
The VMware® vCenter™ Hyperic® 5.8 release notes cover the following topics:
What's New in vCenter Hyperic 5.8
This vCenter Hyperic version includes the following new features.
- New services and metrics and cluster support has been added to the SQL Server and Exchange plug-ins. The cluster support is applicable when viewing using vCenter Operations Manager.
- Mapping for vCenter Operations Manager has been improved.
- Multiple vCenter servers can be configured from the vCenter Hyperic user interface, for monitoring and mapping of virtual machines.
- vCenter Site Recovery Manager environments with multiple MAC addresses for the active and backup virtual machines are now supported.
- Historic and real time top resource consumers for a platform can be viewed according to memory, CPU and disk IO.
- Configuration of dynamic groups by platform is supported through the management at scale feature.
- Over 2500 vCenter Hyperic agents are supported on a single vCenter Hyperic server.
- The vCenter Hyperic built-in agent upgrade includes the option to upgrade an agent package with embedded JRE.
- Support is provided for installation of vCenter Hyperic on non-English operating systems. You can also now use non-English characters in input to vCenter Hyperic.
- The Active MQ plug-in has been upgraded to support versions 5.7 and 5.8.
- A new Hyper-V plug-in is provided to monitor Hyper-V virtual machines.
- New control actions have been added to the Oracle plug-in to remotely restart an Oracle database server.
The community plug-ins, as listed below, have been removed from vCenter Hyperic 5.8.
To use one of these plug-ins, download it from the VMware Solutions Exchange site using the Plug-in Manager.
When you upgrade an existing vCenter Hyperic setup, the plug-ins are not removed and any existing resources continue to be monitored as before.
Known Issues in vCenter Hyperic 5.8
The following known issues affect the vCenter Hyperic 5.8 release.
- In Administration > Edit HQ Server Settings, if you incorrectly configure credentials under the vCenter Settings, you are not alerted that you have provided invalid credentials but vCenter mapping does not function.
- Nltest only runs on MS Exchange 2007 installed on Windows Server 2003.
- After upgrading to vCenter Hyperic 5.8, mysql-plugin.jar still appears in the Plug-in Manager, even though it no longer exists.
- Occasionally, when the vCenter Hyperic agent is down, the Resource Health status appears as down, when the actual status is unknown.
- When you rename a resource, you must update the group before the change is visible to the group.
- After you have installed a vCenter Hyperic agent on a Windows virtual machine, the agent starts automatically.
- When you upgrade a vCenter Hyperic agent, if you select an option that is incompatible with the upgrade, the agent becomes unavailable and the displayed messages are misleading.
Note that, although the vCenter Hyperic agent version is version 5.0, under Administration > HQ Health > Agents, the version number still displays 5.8.
- Open the rollback.properties file to roll back version 5.8 to 5.0.
- Specify set.HQ_AGENT_BUNDLE=agent-5.0.0
- Specify set.HQ_AGENT_ROLLBACK_BUNDLE=agent-5.0.0
- Restart the agent.
- The Add/Update Plugin(s) button does not apply updates to plug-ins, it only adds new plug-ins.
Workaround:To update a plug-in, delete it and readd it as a new plug-in.
- If you change the pattern property in an HTTP resource, the change does not take effect.
Delete the HTTP resource, and recreate it with the new pattern.
- The default vCenter Hyperic installation directory on Windows is C:\Program Files. The vCenter Hyperic installer does not recognize spaces in directory names.
Workaround: Change the default installation directory to one with no spaces in its name.
- You cannot use HQ-migrate tools to export a database.
- In the installer directory, open installer/data/hq-migrate.xml.
- Delete the line <table name="EAM_CRITERIA" />
- On the line <!--<property name="config.tables" value="...."/>, delete the EAM_CRITERIA table.
- Save the file.
- A user who is the owner of a policy cannot be deleted.
Workaround: Delete the policies that are owned by the user, before deleting the user.
- An Availability metric for platforms that is set for one minute must be treated as a minimum of two minutes when you choose the recurrency option for an alert definition.
- The Exchange 2007 standalone plug-in must be installed in Windows server 2003.
- In the case in which multiple vCenter servers contain virtual machines that share the same MAC address, if some of the vCenter servers are configured to vCenter Hyperic server, or have vCenter Hyperic agents running on them, the vCenter Hyperic server might interpret and display those platforms as a single virtual machine.
Workaround: Configure all the vCenter Servers to the vCenter Hyperic server. A vCenter Server mapping mechanism is generated that removes the MOREF data from the virtual machines with a common MAC address.
- When you attempt to install the vCenter Hyperic plug-in on an Exchange machine, the server might be unavailable and the message Error retrieving value: \MSExchangeIS Mailbox(_Total)\Messages Sent might be displayed.
Workaround: Go to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995801%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx and follow the directions to enable the MSExchangeIS object in the Performance Manager.
- A virtual machine that does not have VMware Tools installed is not mapped to the vCenter Hyperic server.
- When you install vCenter Hyperic usings the non-JRE Windows installer, it might take some time before the user interface appears, and invalid exceptions might appear in the log.
- Deleting a resource from the inventory causes any resources currently in the auto-discovery queue to be removed from
the queue and from the Auto-Discovery portlet on the dashboard.
The resources reappear in the portlet when they are next auto-discovered and added to the queue.
- In a large vCenter Hyperic deployment, deleting multiple platforms simultaneously from the user interface
can result in orphaned resources, browse errors, incorrect results in the user interface, and under some circumstances, a stack trace.
The following message in server.log indicates that this error condition has occurred:
05-04-2012 13:10:54,185 EDT ERROR [tomcat-http--19] [org.hyperic.hq.ui.util.UIErrorHandler@49] An
exception was thrown for the following request URI
If you experience this problem, contact VMware Global Support Services.
- The Operations Center page intermittently is empty and displays Sorry, an error occurred.
A stack trace is written to server.log when the error occurs.
- If a vCenter Hyperic agent is deployed on an operating system with an IP address that is currently associated with an existing resource (platform) in vCenter Hyperic, the agent will not auto-discover the platform, servers, and services associated with this operating system.
Prior to deploying the application, remove vCenter Hyperic resources that are currently associated with the IP address to be reused.
- When adding alert definitions that include a recovery alert to a plug-in JAR file, the loader fails to parse the recovery alert.
Workaround: Comment out the recovery alert and the loader will parse correctly.
- Role names and group names in vCenter Hyperic must be prefixed by org/. For example org/Admin.
- Do not start or restart the vCenter Hyperic server using root credentials.
- When SELinux is enabled, the CentOS 5.8/5.7 32-bit vCenter Hyperic Agent running on Java 7 fails to start, and the message failed /work/hyperic-hq-agent-5.8.0/bundles/agent-x86-linux-5.8.0/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so, because /work/hyperic-hq-agent-5.8.0/bundles/agent-x86-linux-5.8.0/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied is displayed.
Workaround: Disable SELinux.
Alternatively, you can attempt to run chcon -t texrel_shlib_t /work/hyperic-hq-agent-5.8.0/bundles/agent-x86-linux-5.8.0/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so so that the agent and SELinux run on the same virtual machine.
- When using Internet Explorer, you cannot customize SNMP trap OIDs for escalation actions and SNMP notifications.
- Emails are not sent when vCenter Hyperic is deployed from an OVA file.
Update the email configuration properties on the Administration page.
- In the HQ API, when you call get resource config, the platform.config_track.files value is empty.
- Sometimes, an incorrect DSN for collecting virtual machine or ESX server data is passed by the server to the vCenter Hyperic agent. In this case, the virtual machine or ESX server appears to be unavailable.
Change the default collection interval for the affected resources, so that the server sends the DSN to the agent again.