VMware ESX Server 3.5 Update 3 Driver CD for SATA CD and DVD Drives
This driver CD release supports SATA CD and DVD optical drives on HP ProLiant DL385 G5p Server. After installing the driver CD, the ESX Server host is enabled to access the SATA CD or DVD drive. However, virtual machines do not have access to this drive because of a limitation with the ESX Server in handling SATA optical devices.
For detailed information about ESX Server hardware compatibility, check the I/O Hardware Compatibility Guide web application.
Driver CD for VMware ESX Server 3.5 Update 3
Driver details : 2009-02-18 | Build: 146051
Caution: After installing this driver, exercise caution when upgrading ESX Server or applying patches.
This document contains the following sections:
Creating and Using the Driver CD
- Download the driver file.
- Check the md5sum of the downloaded file by running the following command:
The output should match the following:
See Verifying the integrity of downloaded installer files (KB 1537) for more information.
- Write the .iso image to a CD-ROM.
To install ESX Server, refer the procedure detailed in the following section.
Installing ESX Server
The ESX Server driver CD allows you to install new or updated drivers on new or existing ESX Server installations. Use this driver CD as a Boot CD when you want to install ESX Server 3.5 Update 3 from SATA CD or DVD device.
- Place the driver CD in the CD-ROM or DVD drive of the host machine.
- Start the host machine.
- When prompted for an upgrade or installation, press Enter for graphical mode.
- Choose the language you prefer.
- Select a keyboard type.
- You are prompted to swap the driver CD with the ESX Server CD, if the driver CD loads successfully.
Note: It might take some time for the driver CD to load.
- Insert the ESX Server 3.5 Update 3 installation CD and continue with ESX Server installation.
For detailed instructions, refer to the VI3 Installation and Upgrade Guide.
If you are prompted to choose between an install or upgrade installation method, choose the Install method.
- After ESX Server is installed and the system reboots, log in to ESX Server.
- Verify that the driver is installed successfully by running the esxupdate query command.
A message containing the following text appears: SATA CD-DVD drive enablement.
To enable SATA CD and DVD drives on existing ESX Server 3.5 Update 3 installations, install the ESX Server 3.5 patch, ESX350-200901408-BG. You can download the patch from VMware support site or using VMware vCenter Update Manager. For more information, refer to the Patch Management for ESX Server 3 Tech Note.