Patch Management for VMware Infrastructure 3
VMware ESX Server 3i Version 3.5, VMware ESX Server 3i version 3.5 and VirtualCenter 2.5
This page has the following sections:
ESX Server 3i Patch Terminology
The following information is available on the download page for ESX Server 3.5 patches:
- Patch Name: The names of all patches for versions of VMware ESX Server version 3.5 and later are based upon the following pattern:
For example, patches for ESX Server 3i version 3.5 are of the format ESXe350-<BundleID>-<Classification><SupportLevel>. If the bundle name does not follow this format, you might have downloaded a bundle for another version of ESX Server software. For more information about what each of these portions of the name signify, see The 3i patch doc.
- Size: This is the download size of the patch, not the installed size of the patch. The actual installed size of the patch can depend upon the configuration of the system upon which you are installing the patch. In order to prevent installation failures due to space limitations, the esxupdate utility can check to make sure that there is sufficient room on the server to install the patch before installation.
- md5sum: The md5 checksum value for the download is provided so that you can verify the integrity of your download. For more information, see KB 1537.
- Description: Offers a short description of the patch. For detailed information, view the associated KB article by clicking on the patch name.
- Type: Provides the patch classification of the patch. See Patch Classifications for more information.
More Information on ESX Server 3i Patches
Patch Management Documentation
Each version of VMware Infrastructure has a different set of documents to help you to manage patches and upgrades to your software. It is important that you use the correct documentation for the versions of software in your VMware Infrastructure installation.
For VMware ESX Server 3i Embedded, ESX Server 3i Installable, and VirtualCenter 2.5, use the following documents:
- The VMware Update Manager Administration Guide describes how to use Update Manager to automate patch management for ESX Server hosts and select Microsoft and Linux virtual machines. For more information on Update Manager, see the Update Manager product page.
- The Upgrade Guide describes how to upgrade your software using ISO images or upgrade tarballs.
- KB 1001179 describes how to view the build number for different components in ESX Server 3.5 installations.
- KB 392 describes how to determine the version number and build number of other products in your installation.
For VMware ESX Server 3.5 and VirtualCenter 2.5, see the patch management information page for those versions.
For VMware ESX Server versions 3.0.x and VirtualCenter 2.0.x, see the patch management information page for those versions.