Patch Management for VMware Infrastructure Products
Note: VMware recommends that you apply patch ESX-5874303 on ESX Server 3.0.1 hosts and patch ESX -1000074 on ESX Server 3.0 hosts before you install any other patches. These patches provide necessary fixes to the esxupdate utility. See KB 5874303 or KB 1000074 for details or view http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/vi3_patches.html to download the patches.
This page has the following sections:
The following information is available on the download page for VMware ESX Server patches:
- Patch Name: The names of all patches for 3.0.x versions of VMware ESX Server are based upon a knowledge base article numbers. For example, if you have downloaded patch ESX-1000039 and would like to find more information about that patch, see KB 1000039 at the URL http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1000039. The name of the patch on the download page is also a link to the knowledge base article.
- Size: This is the download size of the patch, not the installed size of the patch. The actual installed size of the patch can depend upon the configuration of the system upon which you are installing the patch. In order to prevent installation failures due to space limitations, the esxupdate utility can check to make sure that there is sufficient room on the server to install the patch before installation. For VMware ESX Server 3.0.0 installations, in order for the utility to check for available space before installation, patch ESX-1000074 is required. For VMware ESX Server 3.0.1 hosts, patch ESX-5874303 is required. The patches can be downloaded from http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/vi3_patches.html.
- md5sum: The md5 checksum value for the download is provided so that you can verify the integrity of your download. For more information, see KB 1537.
- Description: Offers a short description of the patch. For detailed information, view the associated KB article by clicking on the patch name.
- System Impact: Provides brief information about the system or virtual machine downtime required to install the patch. Some patches require no downtime and can be installed on active systems. Other systems require only that virtual machines on the host be either shut down, or moved to another VMware ESX Server host using VMotion. Some patches require a complete reboot of the VMware ESX Server host on which the patch is being installed.
- Supersedes: Indicates that the patch completely supersedes another patch and contains all fixes contained in any patches listed in this column. If you install the patch, there is no need to install the superseded patch.
- Type: Provides the patch classification of the patch. See Patch Classifications for more information.
Patch Management Documentation
Each version of VMware Infrastructure has a different set of documents to help you to manage patches and upgrades to your software. It is important that you use the correct documentation for the versions of software in your VMware Infrastructure installation.
For VMware ESX Server versions 3.0.x and VirtualCenter 2.0.x, use the following documents: