VMware Consolidated Backup 1.0.2 Update 1 Release Notes
VMware Consolidated Backup 1.0.2 Update 1 | 10/31/2007 | Build 58854
What's in the Release Notes
The release notes cover the following topics:
This update offers the following improvements:
- Resolves compatibility issues for VirtualCenter 2.5.
This update ensures VCB 1.0.2 is compatible with VirtualCenter 2.5.x. This gives you more flexibility in scheduling and implementing VCB upgrades for your next Virtual Infrastructure upgrade or installation. It also allows you to back up a VI3 environment with mixed versions of 3.5.0 and 3.0.1 ESX Server systems that are both managed by VirtualCenter 2.5.x.
Important: VMware Consolidated Backup 1.0.2 Update 1 includes all the features of version 1.0.2 and also adds the features listed here. In addition to this document, also read the VMware Consolidated Backup 1.0.2 Release Notes.
See the ESX Server Compatibility Guides before installing this software. It is important to verify that your server, I/O, storage, guest operating system, management agent, and backup software are compatible. These guides also address minimum requirements and scaling limits associated with this release.
VMware strongly recommends that you read the Virtual Machine Backup Guide for step-by-step guidance on configuring VMware Consolidated Backup.
You might also find the document Understanding VMware Consolidated Backup useful when installing and configuring the software.
Installing This Update
You must uninstall previous versions of VCB before you install VCB 1.0.2 Update 1. See KB 1002603 for troubleshooting information if you ran the installer already and the installation hung.
VCB 1.0.2 U1 requires the following versions of VI3 software:
- ESX Server 3.0.1 with the following patches applied: ESX-1002083, ESX-1002085
- VirtualCenter 2.0.1 or VirtualCenter 2.5 (when available)
To determine if you have the required patches on your ESX Server system:
- Log into the ESX Server service console as root.
- Enter the following command and review the results for the required patches.
esxupdate -l query
Alternatively, you can search for a specific patch number using the following command:
esxupdate -l query | grep <patch_number>
If you do not have the patches already installed, see the following knowledge base articles:
To install VCB 1.0.2 Update 1
- Make sure your VCB Proxy (Windows 2003 host) is correctly configured. See "Setting Up VMware Consolidated Backup" on page 31 in the Virtual Machine Backup Guide, under Chapter 2: VMware Consolidated Backup.
- If you have a previous version of VCB already installed, un-install it before installing Update 1.
(Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs)
- Download the VMware Consolidated Backup installation file from http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/.
- Double-click the downloaded file and follow the prompts to install VMware Consolidated Backup 1.0.2 Update 1.
The following known issues have been reported when using VCB 1.0.2 U1:
The following issues have been resolved in VCB 1.0.2 U1:
- When using mountvm, the vmount service leaves log files locked in the %TEMP% directory.
After using mountvm to mount and un-mount a VMDK on the VCB proxy, the log files created in %TEMP% with the name tmp*.tml.LOG remained locked. As a result, the files could not be deleted and they filled the filesystem.
- README files for backup integration modules refer to VCB 1.x instead of VCB 1.0.x.
The text of the relevant README files has been updated to VCB 1.0.x instead of VCB 1.x.