VMware View Manager 3.0 Release Notes
These release notes cover the
View Manager Version 3.0 | 2 DEC 2008 | Build 127642 (View Manager), 126338 (View Composer)
Last Document Update: 26 MAR 2009
Check frequently for additions and updates to these release
What's New in View Manager 3.0
View Manager 3.0 includes the following improvements and new features:
- View Composer - Dramatically reduces the amount of storage consumed. Images can be provisioned in a few seconds in a fully automated manner by the VMware View Manager for rapid rollouts or as an immediate response to everyday support issues.
- Unified Access - View Manager now brokers connections to physical PCs, terminal servers, and blade PCs in addition to virtual desktops hosted on VMware Infrastructure 3.
- Virtual Printing - Provides end users the ability to print to any local or network printer. Virtual Printing includes a universal print driver, compression for print jobs, and auto detection of local printers from View Client.
- Enhanced User Experience - Extends MMR (multi-media redirection) to all Win XP and Win XPe based clients. Provides increased support for the following critical codecs: MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4 part2, WMV 7/8/9, WMA, AC3, and MP3. Provides granular policies for USB redirection.
- Offline Desktop (Experimental) - Provides the flexibility to intelligently and securely move virtual desktops between the datacenter and local resources. Users can check out their virtual desktops onto physical clients, use the virtual desktop locally, and then check it back in.
Before You Begin
Before you begin to install and configure VMware View Manager, see
the following guidelines.
General Installation Guidelines
The following guidelines apply to all installation types (new
installations and upgrades).
View Client with Offline Desktop cannot be installed on the same machine as VMware Workstation, VMware ACE, VMware Player, or VMware Server.
- View Client, the View Client with Offline Desktop, and View Agent cannot be installed on the same machine.
- Install VMware Infrastructure 3 Version 3.5 update 3 - Installing VMware Infrastructure 3 Version 3.5 update 3 is recommended in order to use the Desktop Composer and Offline Desktop features.
- Synchronize time - Make sure that you have
synchronized time across View Connection Server and desktop virtual
machines. By default, virtual machines pick up the time from the
ESX host at boot, and you might have to synchronize time on the ESX
hosts through the ntpd service.
- Validate your Internet Explorer settings - View
Client uses Microsoft Internet Explorer Internet settings, including proxy settings, when
connecting to View Connection Server. Ensure that your Internet Explorer settings are
accurate and that you can access the View Connection Server URL through
- Before creating an automatically provisioned desktop pool,
do the following:
- Validate the VirtualCenter guest customization
specification if you intend to use one - Make sure that the
guest customization specification in VirtualCenter is accurate. You
should use VirtualCenter to deploy and customize a virtual machine from your
template by using that customization specification and fully test the
resulting virtual machine (in other words, DHCP, authentication) before using that
customization specification in View Administrator.
- Validate network ports on ESX - Make sure you
have a sufficient number of ports on the virtual switch that is used
for the guest virtual machines. The default value for ESX is 24; it might not
be sufficient when creating a large pool of desktop virtual machines.
- Install required Microsoft Windows patches - For
Windows XP desktop virtual machines, make sure you have RDP patches referenced by
Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) articles 323497 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323497) and 884020 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884020). Failure
to do this might result in a Windows Sockets failed error message on the
- Upgrade View Client machines to
use Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) 6.x - This recommendation applies to machines running
Windows XP and Windows XPe. Windows 2000 does not support RDC
6.x.Windows Vista comes with RDC 6.x installed. RDC 6.x can be downloaded at the following Microsoft download site: Microsoft downloads
- View does not support using link-local (169.254.x.x)
addresses for virtual desktops -
Configure virtual desktops to use DHCP or static IP addresses.
- Install the VMware View Client with Offline Desktop if you are going to use Offline Desktop.
- VMware View 3.0 provides Common Access Card (CAC) support for customers who use Actividentity or Gemalto smart cards. View does not currently offer SSO support from a client device to a virtual desktop without requiring a user to re-enter a pin.
Backing Up Configuration Data (VDM 2.1 and later)
For information about backing up configuration data, see the VMware technical note at
Upgrading VMware View
VMware View supports upgrading to the released build of VMware View 3.0. Keep in mind the following issues when upgrading VMware View Clients:
Upgrading VMware View Beta Builds
The Known Issues are grouped as follows:
General Issues include the following categories:
Common Access Card
General - Miscellaneous
- If a user data disk is added to a linked clone Windows might relocate the CD-ROM to a different drive letter than the original drive letter the CD-ROM was assigned in the parent virtual machine (1007691)
- If a Netware client is installed on the master virtual machine, the user profile will not be redirected during the first log on
- Local user persistent disk is displayed as a network drive in My Computer
- If a snapshot is taken on a linked clone, refresh and recompose operations are not supported (1007694)
- The Edit Image operation fails with the error "Specified AD container partial distinguished name is not valid" after performing a recompose if you have recently changed the AD container in the pool (1007695)
- View Composer server does not support credentials from trusted domains (1007697)
- Recompose operation from Windows XP to Windows Vista generates a warning message from ESX (1007698)
- If linked clones are created on one ESX server's local storage and you change the storage to another ESX server's local storage by editing the desktop, the rebalance operation results in a failure for the virtual machines that have already been created (1007699)
- Under certain conditions, the View Composer Agent may initiate a reboot of the clone immediately after the clone was created, refreshed, or recomposed (1007700)
- If the administrator's Active Directory password is changed on the Active Directory server but is not changed on the View Composer server, the administrator will receive an AdOperationErrorFault instead of an AdAuthenticationFault error message (1007701)
- Non-ASCII user names for VirtualCenter are not recognized by View Composer (1007702)
- "Active Directory Server is not available" message is generated if AD credentials provided for QuickPrep are not valid (1007703)
- If a refresh operation is initialized on a group of linked clones and the View Composer server is down, the refresh operation will fail and leave some of the clones in an error state and some in the "Task halted" state (1007704)
- Recomposing a linked clone with one controller type to a Master clone of another controller type results in all disks attaching to the new controller type (1007705))
- View Composer uses first available disk slot to add disks which may result in "user data disk" getting added before "system disk." (1007706)
- Static DNS server setting is lost when a recompose is performed from a Windows XP virtual machine to a Windows Vista virtual machine (1007707)
- When a user profile is redirected to a user data disk, the DACLs of the "Default User" and "All Users" profiles are not the same as the DACLs of the files in the original directory (1007708)
- The distinguished name of the Active Directory container where the computer accounts of the linked clones will be created is not validated when creating a deployment group (1007709)
- During the creation of linked clones, the following message may appear in the VirtualCenter client: "The MAC address (xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) of vm2 conflicts with MAC assigned to vm1." (1007710)
- View Composer cannot remove replicas that are powered on (1007711)
- The View Composer disk mounting subsystem may fail when the target ESX host cannot contact a server providing shared NAS storage (1007713)
- Sometimes a recompose or refresh operations can fail in some cases with the message VcUnexpectedErrorFault(reason='Incompatible device backing specified') (1007714)
- The View Composer server shuts down after losing a DB connection (1007715)
- Linked Clone Desktop creation or recompose operations can fail with the message VcUnexpectedErrorFault(reason=DuplicateNameFault) when the replica folder is not present in VirtualCenter (1007716)
- While a View Composer pool is being provisioned, the user and OS disk columns are empty until all the virtual machines in the pool exist and if a virtual machine in the pool is missing, the OS and user datastore columns are empty (1007720)
- The template list is not refreshed if the administrator returns to the VirtualCenter selection page and checks the "Use linked clone technology to create desktops in this pool" checkbox while creating a pool (1007721)
- Pool wizard only shows one datastore in View Administrator when the template for the selected pool is created using a "convert to template" operation on a virtual machine with snapshots (1007722)
- Attempting to add an automated desktop pool using linked clone technology fails after re-initializing the View Composer database and generates an "Invalid value for parameter vcConfigId passed to SVI function" error message (1007723)
- Linked clones may end up in an error state after a reset, recompose, refresh, or rebalance, due to transient failure of networks, datastores, services, and the View server (1007820)
- The first attempt to add a domain administrator to the VirtualCenter configuration in View Manager fails (1007837)
- Desktop Composer installation fails when the VirtualCenter server language is set to Swedish (1007915)