VMware Workstation 5.0Features | Documentation | Knowledge Base | Discussion Forums
Using a Serial Port on the Host Computer
You can set up the virtual serial port in a virtual machine to use a physical serial port on the host computer. This is useful, for example, if you want to use an external modem or a hand-held device in your virtual machine.
To install a virtual serial port that connects to a physical serial port on the host computer, take the following steps:
1. Open the virtual machine settings editor (VM > Settings).
2. Click Add to start the Add Hardware Wizard.
3. Select Serial Port, then click Next.
4. Select Use physical serial port on the host, then click Next.
5. Choose the port on the host computer that you want to use for this serial connection. By default, the device status setting is Connect at power on. You may deselect this setting if you wish.
Click Advanced if you want to configure this serial port to use polled mode. This option is of interest primarily to developers who are using debugging tools that communicate over a serial connection. For more information, see Special Configuration Options for Advanced Users.
6. Click Finish, then click OK to close the virtual machine settings editor.
7. Power on the virtual machine.