VMware Workstation 5.0Features | Documentation | Knowledge Base | Discussion Forums
Converting a VirtualPC Virtual Machine
VMware Virtual Machine Importer is a separate downloadable application that creates a new VMware virtual machine from a Microsoft VirtualPC virtual machine in a few simple steps.
You must install Virtual Machine Importer to use this procedure. The most up-to-date instructions appear the Virtual Machine Importer User's Manual. See http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vm_importer_manual.pdf to download the Virtual Machine Importer manual.
To migrate a VirtualPC virtual machine:
1. Ensure the VirtualPC virtual machine is powered off.
Note: You cannot migrate a virtual machine while it is operating.
2. Launch Virtual Machine Importer to start the wizard.
Start > Programs > VMware > Virtual Machine Importer
3. From the opening panel, click Next.
4. Select the configuration and click Next.
5. Browse (or type the path) to the source VirtualPC virtual machine. Click Next.
Virtual Machine Importer inspects the file momentarily.
6. Browse or type the path to the location you want to create a VMware virtual machine and click Next.
Select the format of the virtual machine.
8. Select the import options for the new virtual machine
Caution: Linking to the disk file is faster than making a complete copy, but selecting this option means your VMware virtual machine can stop functioning if you ever use the source virtual machine in VirtualPC again.
9. Review the description of the migration settings. To make changes, click Back. When you are satisfied with the settings, click Next.
Virtual Machine Importer creates a VMware virtual machine from the source VirtualPC.
A progress bar appears. To stop the migration, click Cancel.
The migration process can often take more than a minute per gigabyte of disk space of the migrated virtual machine. When the migration is complete, Virtual Machine Importer displays a completion dialog box.
10. To use the virtual machine immediately, select Start my virtual machine now. Virtual Machine Importer then launches VMware Workstation when it closes.
11. Click Finish.