VMware Workstation 5.5Features | Documentation | Knowledge Base | Discussion Forums
Installing VMware Workstation 5 on a Linux Host
Getting started with VMware Workstation is simple. The key steps are
1. Install the VMware Workstation software as described in Installing Workstation on a Linux Host.
2. Start VMware Workstation
3. Enter your serial number.
You need to do this only once. If you don't already have a serial number configured from a previous installation, you are prompted for the serial number when you start Workstation. To enter the serial number choose Help > Enter Serial Number.
Note: You can install Workstation without a serial number. However you cannot power on a virtual machine without entering a serial number.
4. Create a virtual machine using the New Virtual Machine Wizard. See Creating a New Virtual Machine.
5. Install a guest operating system in the new virtual machine. You need the installation media (CD-ROM or floppy disks) for your guest operating system or an ISO image made from the guest operating system installation media. See Installing a Guest Operating System and VMware Tools.
6. Install the VMware Tools package in your virtual machine for enhanced performance. See Installing VMware Tools.
7. Start using your virtual machine.