VMware Workstation 5.5Features | Documentation | Knowledge Base | Discussion Forums
Installing VMware Workstation 5 on a Windows Host
Getting started with VMware Workstation is simple. The key steps are
1. Install the VMware Workstation software as described in Installing Workstation on a Windows Host.
2. Start VMware Workstation and enter your serial number.
You need to do this only once during the installation process when prompted or through Help > Enter Serial Number.
If you don't already have a serial number from a previous installation, the installer prompts you for the serial number during installation. If you choose not to enter the serial number during installation, you can enter it later by going to Help > Enter Serial Number.
3. Create a virtual machine using the New Virtual Machine Wizard. See Creating a New Virtual Machine.
4. Install a guest operating system in the new virtual machine. You need the installation media (CD-ROM or floppy disks) for your guest operating system or an ISO image made from the guest operating system installation media. See Installing a Guest Operating System and VMware Tools.
5. Install the VMware Tools package in your virtual machine for enhanced performance. See Installing VMware Tools.
6. Start using your virtual machine.
Before you begin, be sure you have