VMware Workstation 5.5Features | Documentation | Knowledge Base | Discussion Forums
The Clone Virtual Machine Wizard
The Clone Virtual Machine Wizard guides through the process of making a clone. You do not need to locate and manually copy the parent virtual machine files. The Clone Virtual Machine Wizard automatically creates a new MAC address and other unique identifiers for the clone.
Note: You cannot create a clone from a virtual machine that is powered on or suspended. You must power off a virtual machine before you can make a clone.
To create a clone using the Clone Virtual Machine Wizard:.
1. Select the virtual machine you want to clone.
Click the name of a virtual machine in the Favorites list or click the tab of a virtual machine in the summary window.
2. Open the Clone Virtual Machine Wizard (VM > Clone) and click Next.
3. Select the state of the parent from which you want to create a clone, and click Next.
You can choose to create a clone from either of two states.
4. Select the type of clone you want to create and click Next.
You can choose to make a full clone or a linked clone. See Full and Linked Clones for a description of the differences.
5. Type a name and a path for the cloned virtual machine, and click Finish.
The default name and path are based on the original virtual machine name and location. You can type a new entry for name and path, or use the Browse button to locate a directory for the clone files.
After you have verified your entries, click Finish. The Clone Virtual Machine Wizard then displays a status page.
A full clone can take many minutes to create, depending on the size of the virtual disk that is being duplicated.
6. Click Done to exit the Clone Virtual Machine Wizard.