VMware Workstation 5.5Features | Documentation | Knowledge Base | Discussion Forums
Converting a Virtual Machine or System Image Using the Import Command
To convert a virtual machine or system image using the Import command:
1. If you are importing a Virtual PC virtual machine, make sure the virtual machine is powered off.
Note: You cannot import a virtual machine while it is operating.
2. Choose File > Import to launch the VMware Virtual Machine Importer Wizard. From the opening panel, click Next.
3. Select the configuration and click Next.
Typical This configuration is appropriate for most use.
Custom Custom configurations are useful if
4. Browse (or type the path) to the source virtual machine or system image. Click Next.
The importer inspects the file.
Note: If you are running Workstation on a system running Microsoft Windows 2000 or later, and you are importing a Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 virtual machine or image, a warning panel is displayed, advising that the import process will upgrade any NTFS partitions in the resulting virtual machine to a newer version of the NTFS file system. An upgraded file system is compatible with Windows 4.0. The operating system and applications will work normally. However, some utilities shipped with Windows NT 4.0, including chkdsk and defrag, will not operate properly. Microsoft provides hotfix 872952 for this issue. To avoid upgrading your file system in this case, press Cancel to end the import, and run the importer from a computer running Windows NT to import the virtual machine or image.
5. Browse or type the path to the location you want for the VMware virtual machine and click Next.
Steps 6 and 7 refer to the custom configuration. If you selected the typical configuration in step3, skip to step 8.
6. Select the format of the virtual machine.
7. Select the import options for the new virtual machine
Note: If you choose to link to the existing virtual machine for a Virtual PC virtual machine, opening the original source virtual machine in Virtual PC may invalidate the imported virtual machine.
Review the settings. To make changes, click Back. To proceed, click Next.
Virtual Machine Importer creates a VMware virtual machine from the source virtual machine or system image.
A progress bar appears. To stop the migration, click Cancel.
The import process can often take more than a minute per gigabyte of disk space of the migrated virtual machine. When the migration is complete, the wizard displays a completion panel.
8. Click Finish.
If the migration is not successful, the wizard displays a panel like the following. To see the log file for the unsuccessful migration, click Show the logfile.